Author Topic: Diesel Engine tuning and Exhaust  (Read 7436 times)

Offline JonnoGti

• GTI forum regular
Diesel Engine tuning and Exhaust
« on: 02 February 2006, 13:07 »
Just wondering if anyone knows the statistics on tuning DIESEL engines. For example could you tune a 110bhp to 180bhp, or a 150bhp to 220bhp etc........or are the limits based on what it is origianlly?

Also has anyone got a diesel with a nice exhaust system with a really full sport deep sound. Just wondering if it "hides" the diesel engine noise and sounds almost as good as petrol engine :rolleyes:? Cheers guys and gals

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Diesel Engine tuning and Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2006, 14:02 »
look at this

www.revotechnik.com

that should give you an idea of what's achieveable just via a remap. the 130 can be remapped to around 170 and torque is upped from 228 - 280  :cool:

Offline JonnoGti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2006, 14:45 »
Cheers thats an awesome link. I thought REVO were expensive, thought it was like £700 odd for a job to be done like that. Plus they got the free try before you buy! Got one near me in Newport. So when I get my Tdi ill take a trip down there and try it out. It resets after 5hrs, incredible. Just dont know what TDI i can get yet. Thanks again.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2006, 15:03 »
you talking about Westec Performance??

I'm in Merthyr just up the road mate  :smiley:

Think REVO is currently £400+VAT so a bit of a bargain.

Wheni get bored of the 130 I got I'll investigate a bit further...... picking up my GT TDI 130 tomorrow  :wink:

Offline JonnoGti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2006, 15:10 »
Cool, im actualy in Caerphilly, down the a470 lol........Aint heard of westec.........Where u buy ur 130 from then, is it all standard at mo? Gotta sell my Gti 180 then im in the market for one.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2006, 15:20 »
picking it up from Bristol tomorrow.  It's standard at the moment and will be for a while whilst i save some more!!

Plus it'll probably take me a while to get used to the power - upgrading from a MK 1.6 Driver so quite a big jump lol

Whereabouts in Newport are you thinking of??

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2006, 15:27 »
I've put a PD 150 into my mk2.  Its currently running about 200bhp/300lbs just from a remap, decat-exhaust and CAI.  Above 200bhp will be serious £Â£Ã‚£Ã‚£.  The uprated injectors alone are over a grand.  I could get it upto 250bhp/250lbs but will be looking at a bill of £3k to do that.  You'll be better off just getting it remapped and investing in a ATB diff and suspension.

Offline JonnoGti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2006, 16:38 »
Well if you go on the REVO link it asks you to select ur location, then u can c on a map whereabouts ur nearest "dealer" is. For me its REVO is located at Germania Car Sales or something in Newport. Must be round the back lol Its just something Im thinking of as its crap when u go lower down in power. I had a Type R Civic 02 reg it was awesome but I sold it to get something cheaper to run so i bought a 206xsi and it took ages to get used to the reduction in power. Gonna be the same when I sell my 180 and go back down between 110 and 150bhp. So after Ive r32'ed it up ill be looking for some power increase.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2006, 16:43 »
trust me, the diesel's are THAT SLOW lol. Don't think about it in terms of BHP but TORQUE!! The 130 has 228lbs ft torque and its this that will give you real world performance  :cool:

I test drove a couple before buying the one i have to make sure i was happy with the performance.  It's frightning how easy they are to drive and before you know it you're in license losing territory   :wink:

Offline JonnoGti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2006, 16:50 »
Sorry to be dull now But what is torque. Is it more based on mid range pull or something? Ive heard after 40mph the tdi's are as quick as gti's. Ive read lots of posts stating tdi's have "more torque than a porsche", Sureley this cant be power?