Author Topic: engine mounts - how to  (Read 17695 times)

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
engine mounts - how to
« on: 12 April 2009, 20:27 »
I recently fitted my THS FR3 engine mounts so I thought I'd show you how it's done

First of all start by loosening everything on the drivers side inner wing as you need access to the bolts that are underneath them. This includes the PAS bottle and the header tank

put the jack under the sump to on the drivers side to support the engine. You don't need to crank it right up, just enough for it to rest on for now

now start but undoing the 2 18mm bolts closest to the cam cover. Undo these a few turns each at a time as you need to watch to see if the engine is starting to drop as you undo them. If so raise the jack up again slightly and carry on. Repeat this until the bolts are rising up as you undo them rather than the engine dropping down.

Now move onto the 16mm bolts that hold the mount to the inner wing and the 13mm bolts that hold a brace on the inner wing.

Now you have the fun task of getting the mount out. just pull, twist and whatever else you can think of to get it out.

This is the standard mount compared to the THS mount

Now as the Haynes manual says, refitting is the reverse of removal

You'll have to jack the engine up to get the mount to fit again as the old one will have sagged.

Put everything back together and move onto the next one...

This side is a breeze compared to the other one

again support the engine by putting a jack under the gearbox and raising it up slightly

undo the 2 18mm bolts again, balancing the height on the engine

then the 2 16mm bolts, but you'll find one of them is hidden byt the wire trunking. Pop the cover off and you will see an hole in the bottom, ready for you to push an extension bar and socket through (those Germans think of everything)

now there is 1 more 13mm bolt to undo, again hidden by the trunking. There is also a hole here ready for a socket so undo this. You then need to let the engine down on the jack slowly to give you enough room to pull the mount out. J

Pull the mount out and pop your new one back in, starting with the 13mm bolt, then the 2 16mm bolts. raise the engine up and do the 18mm bolts up.

Now take your car out and feel the massive difference these make! :cool:
« Last Edit: 12 April 2009, 20:28 by richw911 »

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: engine mounts - how to
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2009, 22:15 »
forgot to add you may want to replace the 13mm, 16mm and 18mm bolts as they are self locking

the numbers are...

N 101 559 06 x 3 (13mm bolt) approx 51p each

N 905 969 06 x 4 (16mm bolt) approx £3.83 each

N 102 096 05 x 4 (18mm bolt) approx £1.97 each

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

jamie16v

« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2010, 18:35 »
any idea on price comparison to standard mounts, and are the bushes replaceable?..

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2010, 19:22 »
The Ths ones if bought on a deal are cheaper than the VAG ones i believe.
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

jamie16v

« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2010, 19:40 »
ah right thanks. are there any replacement bushes for the standard mounts?.

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2010, 20:01 »
Only the dog bone i think, i dont think you can change the rubber in the mounts, if i still have some old ones in my garage i will have a look
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2010, 20:05 »
Just looked on ebay and they don't seem to be doing the offer they were inthe summer, for all 3 mounts its £189, i think the VAG ones are about the same if not more.

Also i don't have my old ones, i must have tidyed up for a change.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2010, 20:04 »
gen VAG ones are irrelevant anyways as they will be good for a bit but they're too soft

THS are doing 10% off at the mo on their website

VW don't stock replacement bushes for the dog bone mount, they will want you to buy the whole lot!
« Last Edit: 08 January 2010, 20:06 by Wazzzer »

Offline Purely VAG

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2010, 03:35 »
Definately a must do mod. Wazzer did you compare the mounts when you took them out ?

I moved the VW one with my hands in every direction.

THS one - i leant all my bodyweight and still couldn't move it

Power feels more direct after, no engine movement

✉ Jrd@PurelyVAG.co.uk // www.PurelyVAG.co.uk

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2010, 16:14 »
Definately a must do mod. Wazzer did you compare the mounts when you took them out ?

I moved the VW one with my hands in every direction.

THS one - i leant all my bodyweight and still couldn't move it

Power feels more direct after, no engine movement

Indeed Well worth doing  :cool:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.