Author Topic: Problem with your electrics?  (Read 20040 times)

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Problem with your electrics?
« on: 01 April 2009, 18:23 »
If your electrics are playing up it may be worth checking the fuses on top of the battery.

Pictured here:

May not be the one pointed out here, was a picture off another forum!

Symptons:
Juddering, cutting out, struggling to use electrics, slow wipers, dimming lights etc.

Fix:
A new fuse holder on top of the battery, Part number: 1JO 937 617 D Around £70 from VW.

Also worth clearing fault codes after as all the ABS and airbag ones will be present due to them not getting enough voltage. I'd advise getting it sorted ASAP as mine cut out on the motirway and needed towing in the end and it may kill your alternator or/and battery!

To check the battery:
Charge the battery or use jump leads to get it running. Then use a multimeter on the batt when its running should be 14v +  (quote by Richw911 from original threead that's linked at the bottom of this post)

What happened to me (some useful info in there) http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=89101.0

Any problems PM me and I may be able to help you!

« Last Edit: 16 January 2012, 18:25 by richw911 »

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Re: Problem with your electrics?
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2009, 19:07 »
Thanks for moving Rich :)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2009, 19:14 »
Thanks for moving Rich :)

No probs top guide :afro:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Dannyboy90

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2010, 10:17 »
I think this is happening to me at the moment!

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2010, 18:25 »
This fuse has blew twice for me now and after alot of testing with an Amp Metre i found the problem to be the alternator  :cry:

If you have this problem check your alternator power output. My power output readings were between 1.74volts and 15.9volts. Coil inside alternator definitely donald ducked.

Check your alternator output by disconecting the wire to the fuse box on top of your battery (disconect from alternator not fuse box) and using the point where the wire meets the alternator check your volt outputs with a Amp Metre.

Hopefully you get the easy fuse box fix but please by aware it could by your alternator because i nearly spent £49 on a new fuse box, £30 on a new wiring harnes and god knows how much on replacement 110amp fuses.
Can PM me also if you need some advice and i'll try and help
Hope this helps,
Adam

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline gabfig

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2010, 16:01 »
My dash lights, radio,a/c lights don't turn on when I turn the switch... Instead I have to use the car for like 4 mins and turn the lights off/ on and then they turn on... But the headlights do turn on and work properly
golf gti mk4 vr6 glx 2.0-liters yr 2000

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2010, 22:09 »
My dash lights, radio,a/c lights don't turn on when I turn the switch... Instead I have to use the car for like 4 mins and turn the lights off/ on and then they turn on... But the headlights do turn on and work properly

Seems like your battery is either on its way out or could be alternator and the problem weve been discussing. Keep your eyes on the 50 or 110amp fuse in the fuse box  :smiley:

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline Sicskate

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2010, 10:08 »
I have very similar symptoms,

But battery is losing charge.
When the car is running my multimeter is reading 19v.

I'm putting it down to the alternator?

Ive charged the battery out of the car and it held 13v for a week, but in the car it died after 2 days with the car being unused (sitting).

Can anyone back my alternator guess up before I spend out on a replacement?

Offline GTIcheeseman

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2012, 18:29 »
mine battery is a13.9 when idle is that right?

i am having the same trouble think its best to get a new fuse holder

Offline wagenman

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2014, 20:27 »
Hi, did you resolve this issue? I replaced my fuse box on top of battery a while ago but have noticed the alternator fuse connection bolt on end of wire from alternator is getting very hot now the hot weather is here guess cooling fans are demanding a lot of current with a/c on full blast!
Any way I have discovered that there is a voltage drop of 0.25v across from the cable copper core to the bolt clamp which is crimped to the copper core basically this is causing a resistance at this point which in turn creates heat, I will be renewing my cable from the alternator.