Author Topic: Panoramic Sunroof  (Read 6151 times)

Offline DaBaws

• Not said much yet
Panoramic Sunroof
« on: 20 August 2018, 19:15 »
Hi,

Want to choose the sunroof as an option on my GTI PP DSG 5 Dr. What have everyone's experiences been like so far? Any leaks or rattling problems? Do you use it much at first then kind of forget about it? Or is it just amazing?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 20 August 2018, 19:19 by DaBaws »

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Panoramic Sunroof
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2018, 20:20 »
Go for it!

If I’d been in a position to get the pan roof I would have. That said, don’t think it full panoramic inside. But such a great addition to any car and saves having the windows down all the time.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2018, 20:57 »
Starting to get the occasional creek after nearly 5 years but no regrets, nothing some VW Krytox won't fix.  Only thing worth mentioning is the car gets dusty inside because of it but you can live with that.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2018, 22:10 »
Looks nice, especially on a white golf. Great at night if the stars are out. But it's not panoramic. Not even close. Not sure how VW get away with calling it panoramic.

Offline Madpig

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2018, 06:06 »
My wife’s Fiesta has a full length panoramic roof white looks awesome against her car’s red bodywork.

I fancy a roof in the Golf but not sure how long it is......so, could someone post a photo of it please?

I’d be happier if it wasn’t full length I think.

Offline Bengunn

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2018, 08:41 »
Last August when ordering my GTI PP 3 door I had similar concerns about a sunroof. I was assured by the service department of the dealership there were no issues with same.
Biggest mistake I have made.
It creaks when I move off, when I brake, even when going around corners.
Dealer has been crap dealing with it.
First time was in for the full day only to be told on collection they had done nothing else other than to apply Krytox to the seal. Asked how long this would last before it would need to be reapplied, they couldn't say.
Said the seal had probably dried out as my car had probably been lying in a field for months. Told them it was an August order, October build, collected in November. That stumped that excuse.
Krytox didn't work.
Roof continued to creak (as now does the headlining at the front of the roof). Garage said the hot weather was to blame with everything expanding, weather now back to normal, still creaking.
Car now back in twice while they fiddle about moving things to try to find what the problem is. They now suspect the headlining might be the problem touching/rubbing on roof components.
Love my car and hopefully it can be sorted but I wish I had not bothered with the roof. 

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2018, 09:26 »
Hi,

Want to choose the sunroof as an option on my GTI PP DSG 5 Dr. What have everyone's experiences been like so far? Any leaks or rattling problems? Do you use it much at first then kind of forget about it? Or is it just amazing?

Thanks

The panoramic sunroof is part of standard spec on two of the three trim levels offered on the GTI in the USA (they have S, SE and Autobahn trim levels on the GTI, so it’s worth having a look on mk7golf.com as there’s a high proportion of USA members owning GTI’s with sunroofs, and lots of discussion threads on their experiences with it.  Might help you make your decision on whether or not to go for the sunroof.

Suggest you use the search facility to do a search on ‘leaks’, ‘stress’ (as in stress fractures) and ‘sunroof’ in the ‘GTI and Golf mk7 General Discussions’ section.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2018, 09:30 »
If you only want it to get a black panel on the roof.... wrap the roof! Cheaper and won't cause rattles, leaks and creeks!

Oh and reversible...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2018, 11:10 »
I have a pano sunroof, do I like it? yes.  Would I order it new from the factory, mmmm probably not, as I could think of better ways to spend / save the £1K cost.

I like the fact it brings much more light into the cabin all year round, I really like on a sunny days opening it, but as others have said it's not full a full length sunroof, not even close.  Touch wood, no problems yet, touch wood again!

I bought my car 2nd hand (3 years old), I wanted a GTI PP, at the time mine popped up with the right spec / colour / mileage etc, 2 miles away as approved used from local VW dealer, minus the PP pack but with sunroof.

Have to say, as much as I like the sunroof, I would still rather have the PP pack over the sunroof personally.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2018, 11:12 by mikegti77 »
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2018, 11:12 »
I have a pano sunroof, do I like it? yes.  Would I order it new from the factory, mmmm probably not, as I could think of better ways to spend / save the £1K cost.

I like the fact it brings much more light into the cabin all year round, I really like on a sunny days opening it, but as others have said it's not full a full length sunroof, not even close.  Touch wood, no problems yet, touch wood again!

I bought my car 2nd hand (3 years old), I wanted a GTI PP, at the time mine popped up with the right spec / colour / mileage etc, 2 miles away as approved used from local VW dealer, minus the PP pack but with sunroof.

Have to say, as much as I like the sunroof, I would still rather have the PP pack over the sunroof personally.
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof