Author Topic: Bike Rack for 7.5 GTI  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
Bike Rack for 7.5 GTI
« on: 23 September 2020, 08:31 »
I’m looking to get a boot mounted bike rack for my GTI and want something easy to get on and off, and be able to access the boot while bikes are mounted.

Needs to hold 3 bikes.

I’ve looked at the Thule Raceway and it looks good but says not suitable for cars with rear spoilers even though compatible with the Mk7 Golf.

Does anyone have one and can let me know how good it is, or can recommend an alternative?
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Bike Rack for 7.5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2020, 18:21 »
I wouldn't be putting any boot mounted bike carrier anywhere the rear spoiler. Also how will you have access to the boot with a boot mounted carrier? You can't. I'd be going roof mounted where you'll easily get the bikes on and still have access to the boot.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2020, 18:53 »
Saris Superbones 3 seems popular on here...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2020, 11:14 »
Thanks guys.  Had a search on the Saris and the issue of the spoiler being bonded to the hatch is raised there too.  So back to looking at roof racks and with bike mounts.  More expensive but worth it if I need to use a roof box.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2020, 12:10 »
Someone on here recently was asking about an easily mountable roof bike carrier.... i can't find it but there was a suction cup based one people said was better than faffing with roof bars.

I have (Thule) roof bars, they are reasonably easy to fit, easier with two people if you don't want to scratch the car.

However, I strongly suggest you don't leave them on all of the time, particularly in winter as they intrude into the door rubbers and I have had leaks from it during torrential rain. They also discolour the paint under the feet if you leave them on too long.... just warning you.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

steve12345

« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2020, 12:29 »
The suction cup type of carrier gets a big vote from me. Super easy to attach to the roof, and fit your bikes.

I have a treefrog pro 2, but you could also go for seasucker too. I have used it 7/8 times this summer already and it has never failed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JtxXE8e97KMVvkiD8
« Last Edit: 24 September 2020, 12:31 by steve12345 »

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2020, 10:44 »
I saw the sucker type but the reliability of them would worry me.  Are they easy to check they're on right?

steve12345

« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2020, 19:41 »
So each suction cup has a pump, you press the suction cup onto the roof and pump away. This draws the air out and forms a tight seal. The pump will gradually go in until you can no longer pump and the colored section will disappear (on my treefrog this is white, i think its orange on the seasucker). So its really easy to identify if you have a good seal.

There are loads of you tube videos on how to fit them. I always wash the roof prior to putting it on, just to be extra but a wipe down would probably be fine.

Do your research though and go with whatever solution your most comfortable with.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2020, 13:35 »
Borrowed some decent trail bikes this year from someone who was away over the summer, but they returned now, so handed back, but we have the bug and will be getting ourselves sorted with a couple of bikes and roof rack for Spring so definitely be calling on the forum for advice then, as had my own search and there is so many brands and options, - do think convinced needs to be roof mounted though, just makes sense as best option (to me anyway)

Be nice to have something that allows you to add bikes, but has universal roof box option? any of those out there? as that would be useful for me now.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2020, 13:38 »
Surely thule bars and bike carrier with option for roof box would be the solution then?