Author Topic: Autoglass/windscreen replacement  (Read 4016 times)

steve12345

Re: Autoglass/windscreen replacement
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2020, 09:50 »
I had mine replaced with AG and the fitter advised that if the car was a fairly new, i can't remember exactly but i presume within 3 ish years. They would fit the VW windscreen, with the VW logo in the corner of the screen exactly the same as what your car will currently have. However if its an older car (like mine 2014) they would fit a windscreen that was produced by the same manufacturer, exact same spec it just won't have the VW logo.

They did a good job replacing mine. However my soundaktor started rattling after new windscreen, not sure if the two where related, I just had it unplugged all together and problem solved.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2020, 09:59 by steve12345 »

dervy

« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2020, 10:02 »
I concur with all of the above. My car was 2 years old when the screen cracked. The replacement was carried out by Autoglass to a high standard. I had to wait a week longer for the job to be done as insisted on an oem screen.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2020, 10:40 »
My 3rd party windscreen was definitely not as substantial as the OEM they replaced it with.
I don't know if the thickness was slightly less and enough for the screen to be affected by vibrations.

I can't fault the fitter though.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2020, 11:45 »
Glass is generally only made by pilkington and Saint gobain and then marked with the manufacturers logo. Unless these places are getting cheap knock off glass from somewhere then a one without a logo should be exactly the same as one with.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2020, 12:03 »
I’ve had non OEM screens (without the VW brand) fitted in previous cars. Never had any issues with them, and as mcmaddy has said, they’re made by the same manufacturers as the OEM screens - and I’d assume in the same factory as the OEM version.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 16 September 2020, 16:01 »
I must admit, I did dread needing the heated screen being replaced on my TCR and it did pick up a couple small chips that thankfully didn’t require any attention.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Torch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 16 September 2020, 16:27 »
I had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass today owing to two boys dropping stones onto cars from a elevated walkway over a dual carriageway, the glass was cracked and had numerous holes. - very scary!

I was informed by text about times, the sanitiser procedure and a reminder this morning.
The car is a mk7.5 so I had to drive the car to the nearest depot for the camera calibration.
The staff were very professional and the windscreen replaced within the time they recommend.

I was impressed with the service.

Offline Zan

• Not said much yet
  • MK 7.5 GTi PP>Now MK 8 R-Line 150
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2020, 19:33 »
I had AG do a replacement on 2 of my previous cars where the first went with no issues but the second it was fitted poorly and had to be replaced at their cost. As my cars were under 3 years old I asked for an oem screen which delayed the fitment as they had to get approval from the insurance bods but always insist on oem for new cars.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2020, 12:13 »
Had mine replaced with AG last year absolutely no issues at all.

Offline iantgtd

• Just got here
« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2020, 15:04 »
A few years ago had a company Vectra and windscreen cracked. Rang Company Car help desk and was asked for make, model, ref and “does it have a top tint?”, No is doesn’t.
AG central booking rang me back, same questions including “does it have a top tint?” No.
Local branch rang to confirm appt, by the way does it have a top to tint? No.
Turned up at branch next day, guy comes out to inspect it and first thing he checks? Does it have top tint.
End of day I go to collect, all done except they didn’t have the exact windscreen so they fitted one with..... a top tint!! 
Previous car was Insignia, rang to arrange and mentioned it was kitted out with al the sensors etc, no problem. Mobile fitter arrived, took one look and said wrong screen, he had to ring his office and explain and they were adamant he was wrong until they finally realised their error. None available for another week.
So their fitters are brilliant, it’s the admin they struggle with.
2019 GTD Blueline DSG Pure White (when clean)