Author Topic: Blower blowing but nothing coming out  (Read 2262 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Blower blowing but nothing coming out
« on: 09 September 2020, 21:52 »
OK so my 17 plate gtd is starting to give me problems.

A few things starting to go wrong but today the blower is making fan noises but doesn't appear to be actually blowing air. If you turn it all the way up it blows a bit but not much.

Any ideas?

Sounds expensive 😔
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Blower blowing but nothing coming out
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2020, 22:12 »
If you've already checked that it isn't in eco or recirc, pressed all the various buttons and checked that the vents are all open and pointing the right way then it sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.

Is it no air at all, or no cold air?
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2020, 22:16 »
Yeah, checked the vent openers, tried manual selection of air direction and manually turned the fan up.... it comes out but just a trickle despite fan raging away. It is blowing sorta cold, but just not blowing.

Am guessing its the mechanical unit that controls the direction of the air flow - up or down or in your face etc.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2020, 08:08 »
Based on my Audi, but I can't imagine things have changed that much, I had a similar issue but just affecting the upper vents. All the vents have a motor to control air flow and these can go wrong. With yours it sounds like the one that allows air to initially enter the cabin may have broken. The blower motor should be behind the glovebox so taking that out might be the first thing to do, you should be able to see some of the motors with that out. If you change the direction of flow controls, see if they adjust. Chances are most of them will except for the broken one. This is all assuming you are out of warranty of course! They should be easy enough to remove and replacements can be bought s/h. I'd suggest checking the fuse box before all that just in case one has blown. You could also remove the cabin filter and see if air is coming from the motor there. A slim chance might be leaves having got into the blower blocking the exit, when I changed the blower on a car once there was quite a lot of muck in it but it was a much older car, a MK7.5 shouldn't be that bad yet!

Oh, and if you do find a motor broken, whilst you wait for a replacement you can just manually open the vent (with the motor out of the way) to let air in. I fixed mine for about £15 and it was fairly easy.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2020, 08:29 »
Thanks Watts.

I'll go have a look behind the glovebox.

Yes, out of warranty - loads of problems surfacing which is why I didn't really want to have the damned thing after the (rubbish) 3 year warranty.

However a global pandemic seems to have crapped all over any plans I had :-/

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2020, 08:30 »
It's probably a pointless exercise given recent experiences, but if you have a full dealership service history, you coukd ask about a bit of goodwill as your car is presumably no more than 6 months out of warranty. Probably a flat no, but maybe worth an ask?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2020, 09:02 »
Yes, that's my plan - given that a) there are other things needing fixing and b) I am in the market for a new VW...

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2020, 09:21 »
How about buying a new warranty then 'discovering' all these issues?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2020, 09:39 »

This would be the route I would take lol. In fact it is what I did on the 3 series. Took the warranty out and just waited about 6 weeks as they wouldn't cover anything for the first month anyway and booked it in. Got a load of bits sorted and then cancelled it again lol.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2020, 09:42 »

I'm not expecting to have this car much longer though.... it ends end of December.

I might get it fixed if its cheap, if not, meh.

I've got some sort of vibration from the nearside rear thats probably a wheel bearing or shock or buckled wheel - not sure I really want to look lol Almost certainly any of those is a result of f'ing pothole damage.

It's all a bit weird right now, I'm hardly using the car but still thinking about buying a new one.... torn between that making any sense at all and new car lust...