Poll

Do you regret the choice of colour you opted for

No, it's exactly the colour i wanted and I love it
37 (57.8%)
Didn't really have much choice as I purchased used
7 (10.9%)
Yes, never really jelled with the colour and wish I could go back and choose again
2 (3.1%)
Never thought about it really ?
3 (4.7%)
TBH, VW's colour pallet is crap and limited in any case, so it was the best of a bad bunch
15 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Do you regret your colour choice  (Read 8082 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Do you regret your colour choice
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2020, 11:31 »
I *suspect* the colour choices are do to with some sort of value judgement around PCP GFV's or Das Welt resale values.

What you don't want is to be giving different values for colours I suspect, so you pick a load of safe colours.

Although having said that, the "purple nasty" seems to break my conceptual rule ;-)

I swear that was offered as the one zero extra cost option to make people spend more money!!!

Possibly reflex silver was seen as a bit old hat - from ~2000 everyone wanted a pure silver car before that evolved into more grey silver before going back to white as the fave. Certainly the sales figures seem to reflect that broad public group think.

I'd love to talk to VW UK about what their thoughts are on this subject.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2020, 11:39 »
I *suspect* the colour choices are do to with some sort of value judgement around PCP GFV's or Das Welt resale values.

What you don't want is to be giving different values for colours I suspect, so you pick a load of safe colours.

Although having said that, the "purple nasty" seems to break my conceptual rule ;-)

I swear that was offered as the one zero extra cost option to make people spend more money!!!

Possibly reflex silver was seen as a bit old hat - from ~2000 everyone wanted a pure silver car before that evolved into more grey silver before going back to white as the fave. Certainly the sales figures seem to reflect that broad public group think.

Black Rubin! What a truely awful colour. Used to see one near my work and it looked as bad if not worse than the configurator!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2020, 11:49 »

Turmeric Yellow was also available elsewhere in the range (GT / R Line / R etc). AFAIK it made no difference to GFV's. 🤷‍♂️
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2020, 12:04 »
Turmeric Yellow was also available elsewhere in the range (GT / R Line / R etc). AFAIK it made no difference to GFV's. 🤷‍♂️

A variation of it is currently a Mk8 launch colour too.... I guess VW UK are probably cursing that, but they can't influence that.

Its both garish and horrible at the same time.

Much prefer the in your face colours that Ford or Renault used on their turbo nutter models. No half measures there!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 04 September 2020, 12:46 »
I kept swerving between Indium Grey and Isaac Blue, but at the time I ordered i'd not seen an Isaac car other than in photos. Then at the last minute, out of nowhere I decided to order Tungsten Silver. Never regretted it, although I do sometimes see Isaac and think I wouldn't have regretted that either.

On the whole though, the palette choices are all very bland.

Ordered indium before seeing an Isaac car at the local dealer. Je ne regrette rien.
The more conservative colours will look better in 10 years time, though I don’t expect many people buy with that in mind.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 September 2020, 13:10 »

A variation of it is currently a Mk8 launch colour too.... I guess VW UK are probably cursing that, but they can't influence that.

Its both garish and horrible at the same time.

Much prefer the in your face colours that Ford or Renault used on their turbo nutter models. No half measures there!

Not my cup of tea either. Lime Yellow they call it, but to me it'll always be Mountain Dew  :undecided:

I do look at the colours available for the Leon and the Octavia and wish I could have had the Golf in one of those. What's more SEAT don't charge extra for metallic paint.   :huh:
7.5 GTD

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 September 2020, 13:14 »
I kept swerving between Indium Grey and Isaac Blue, but at the time I ordered i'd not seen an Isaac car other than in photos. Then at the last minute, out of nowhere I decided to order Tungsten Silver. Never regretted it, although I do sometimes see Isaac and think I wouldn't have regretted that either.

On the whole though, the palette choices are all very bland.

Ordered indium before seeing an Isaac car at the local dealer. Je ne regrette rien.
The more conservative colours will look better in 10 years time, though I don’t expect many people buy with that in mind.

Yep, with the amount of people leasing and PCP'ing these days, most buying decisions won't be made thinking that far ahead.

I doubt VW or (anyone else for that matter) will have any trouble shifting a GTi in one of the more enduring appeal colours.  :smiley:
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 04 September 2020, 13:14 »

Not my cup of tea either. Lime Yellow they call it, but to me it'll always be Mountain Dew

Kawasaki Racing Green! I love my Kwakas!

TBH the one colour I really wanted a Mk7 in was the flat grey that finally they did with the TCR. I almost bought a TCR just for that. Audi and Skoda both offered that years ago - in fact I want to say Audi was the first. Its an epic colour I think, especially if you ditch all of the chrome for a full black look and add some 90% rear tints.

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 04 September 2020, 13:52 »
Well Sootchucker this has really given me a wry smile today.  I did the exact opposite.  I have taken delivery of my 20 plate GTI PP DSG a few wks ago in Atlantic Blue and I really can't decide whether I like the colour or not - and I'd love to swap it for Indium grey!

I had two Tornado Red Golfs before (GTI and GTD) and really loved the red, but I couldn't have three in a row the same. 

The Atlantic blue also has a lovely fleck in the paint visible in strong sunlight which looks great - and it also looks fantastic toward dusk on sunny evenings when the colour becomes really dark - looks lovely.  The trouble is the rest of the time eg under grey skies the colour can look really badly flat, plus it shows up the dirt badly (much worse than Tornado Red which hides the dirt v well).

So there you go - if you lived on the south coast we could do a swap :O)

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 04 September 2020, 13:52 »
I bought mine second hand and colour wasn’t hugely important. I ended up with Isaac Blue, and the only day I’ve seen it looking blue was the day I bought it. Every other day, it’s grey. I have a grey car.