Poll

Do you regret the choice of colour you opted for

No, it's exactly the colour i wanted and I love it
37 (57.8%)
Didn't really have much choice as I purchased used
7 (10.9%)
Yes, never really jelled with the colour and wish I could go back and choose again
2 (3.1%)
Never thought about it really ?
3 (4.7%)
TBH, VW's colour pallet is crap and limited in any case, so it was the best of a bad bunch
15 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Do you regret your colour choice  (Read 8119 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Do you regret your colour choice
« on: 04 September 2020, 08:54 »
When I went to order my GTI back in early 2018, I was pretty much decided on going for white, but then in the showroom, under the bright lights was a MK7.5 R about to be collected in Indium grey and it looked great, so at the last minute I changed my mind and ordered that instead.

To this day I've always been on and off about the colour. On a nice sunny day when it's just been washed and the sun glints off the metallic flake I really like it, but most of the time under dull grey skies, I do think it looks quite boring. In hindsight, (having seen some on the roads), I think I would have much preferred Atlantic blue (or much more Lapis Blue if it wasn't just for the R).

So, has anyone else regretted their colour choice, or are you all very happy ? Just for a bit of fun for a Friday.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Do you regret your colour choice
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2020, 09:05 »
I had five white ones on the bounce so I guess I must quite like it!
I can’t vote as I have a mixture of reasons but I still think white is the best shade for a mk7 and it contrasts well with the black and red GTI accents.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2020, 09:09 »
I had limestone the first time and hated it pretty much for a whole 3 years.

Got white now, its as offensive as my fridge and I feel neither joy nor sadness when I look at it. It was cheap, what was the point of spending good money on another colour you feel ambilivent about?

Yes, VW's colour pallette for the UK is poor.

I'd love to be let loose with the German one!

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2020, 09:20 »
I had an Indium and loved it and then got the chance of the Tungsten and was unsure but it was the only Performance one I could get my hands on via a lease so went for it. Turns out it was an awesome colour and you really don't see many on the road. Had so many different colours to it depeding on the day and really worked well with the red details.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2020, 09:44 »
I kept swerving between Indium Grey and Isaac Blue, but at the time I ordered i'd not seen an Isaac car other than in photos. Then at the last minute, out of nowhere I decided to order Tungsten Silver. Never regretted it, although I do sometimes see Isaac and think I wouldn't have regretted that either.

On the whole though, the palette choices are all very bland.
7.5 GTD

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2020, 10:41 »
Can never understand why they dropped Reflex Silver for the 7.5. In my opinion the best colour ever which is why my last Mk7 was bought as one of the last new Mk 7 Reflex Silver GTIs when the 7.5 was already out.
Reflex Silver is a classic colour and lesser Golfs have, I think, remained available in that or v similar.
Does anyone know why they dropped this colour for the facelift?
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2020, 10:46 »
I swapped to Oryx as I fancied a change from TR. I like it but don't love it. I wish I'd stayed with red really but hey-ho, worse things have happened at sea.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2020, 10:47 »
Reflex Silver is a classic colour and lesser Golfs have, I think, remained available in that or v similar.
Does anyone know why they dropped this colour for the facelift?

I believe it was the least ordered colour by a long way on the Mk7, so they ditched it.

Why VW UK only allow a subset of VW's colour pallette is a mystery.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2020, 11:00 »
Reflex Silver has been brought back and is available again now for the Mk8.
7.5 GTD

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2020, 11:29 »
I really love blue cars, but hadn't seen Atlantic blue at the time so wasn't sure if it would have looked ordinary in dull light too. I wish I'd have changed my mind at ordering time. I don't hate indium, as I said in certain lighting it looks great, (and does really well at hiding the dirt), but really wish VW UK were more adventurous with the colours offered.

BMW offer a beautiful blue (Misano Blue) and MB offer a nice one too. Why are the VW UK's colour schemes so bland. If you take Red out of the mix (as not everyone like a red car - no offence), when you are stuck with White, Greys, Black or Dark Blue. At least the R gets Lapis blue - shame the other performance models don't get it offered too.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras