Author Topic: Mk7.5 gti - how to make it quieter  (Read 18591 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline IamLee

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk7.5 gti - how to make it quieter
« Reply #51 on: 26 August 2020, 20:57 »
I’ve been doing a spot of sound insulting. Fitted the harmonic damper and bought 2 packs of Noico 80 mil insulation and a roller (from Amazon) for £45. There was enough to cover the boot floor, rear arches and under the rear seat pad. Didn’t take long, quite enjoyed the job actually!

I was going to test it all out on a trip to the New Forest this week but we took the bikes and the Defender instead. After 2.5 hours in that thing, the golf will be the pinnacle of tranquility regardless of how effective the insulation is!

Now wondering if I put the Noico in the wrong vehicle...
2019 7.5 PP DSG GTi Issac, graphite seville, pan roof, dynaudio, tints, camera, lane assist, keyless

Offline Npr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #52 on: 17 September 2020, 14:20 »
hi lamLee, what's your verdict. Did the noico help? Did you add anything else on top like foam or a MLV barrier.  I'm thinking of having to install noico.

What tyres are you on? Mine are PS4 and awful drone/noise on all but smooth surfaces at 50mph+
Thanks

Offline IamLee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #53 on: 17 September 2020, 17:34 »
Hi Npr, its made an amazing difference, it’s like a different car (and I never thought it was that noisy to begin with). I added close cell foam on top of the noico to the rear bench area. I didn’t put foam on top in the boot because I have the dynaudio sub and thought it may impact the sound. The speakers sounds even better now and the doors shut like a tank!

The overall cost is low at about £120 for the damper and insulation and as I own and not lease, I didn’t mind spending on it. It took roughly 6 hours to do it all.

I’m running the factory tyres on 18s.
2019 7.5 PP DSG GTi Issac, graphite seville, pan roof, dynaudio, tints, camera, lane assist, keyless

Offline Npr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #54 on: 26 September 2020, 14:56 »
Thanks  lam Lee,  that is good to know.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #55 on: 27 September 2020, 21:11 »
Fit the harmonic damper to the rear subframe....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-retro-fit-the-rear-subframe-harmonic-damper-from-the-audi-a3-saloon-2013.369369/

Omg I bought a 2014 GTi at the end of last year and have a rattle from the rear over small bumps too. Sounds like the spare wheel is loose in the boot and jumping around. I had no idea about this apparent issue with these cars before buying so I'm hoping it's not that noise they describe and something easier to fix. I was waiting for my first service/MOT to see if they could see anything causing the noise

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #56 on: 27 September 2020, 21:20 »
Fit the harmonic damper to the rear subframe....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-retro-fit-the-rear-subframe-harmonic-damper-from-the-audi-a3-saloon-2013.369369/

Omg I bought a 2014 GTi at the end of last year and have a rattle from the rear over small bumps too. Sounds like the spare wheel is loose in the boot and jumping around. I had no idea about this apparent issue with these cars before buying so I'm hoping it's not that noise they describe and something easier to fix. I was waiting for my first service/MOT to see if they could see anything causing the noise

Rear seat catches? Drop both rear seats and see if the noise goes. If it does, wrap anti rattle tape around the bars that the catches clip on to. Mine was rattling from the rear and doing that has made a massive difference.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #57 on: 28 September 2020, 09:29 »
Lordie, the damper reduces the droning noise but would not do anything for the rattle, Watts suggestion is most likely :smiley:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Craig

• Not said much yet
« Reply #58 on: 28 September 2020, 11:59 »
If anyone fancies selling their dampener then feel free to contact me.

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #59 on: 04 October 2020, 06:10 »
Craig,they only cost around £60 new from e-acca,just remember the nuts when you order.
Have a look on ‘golf daves how to guides’-in the how to section.