Author Topic: mot check list  (Read 102446 times)

Offline GolfMad

• Not said much yet
Re: mot check list
« Reply #40 on: 14 March 2007, 08:25 »
hi guys,

recently got  a mk3 gti which has 5 stud wheel pattern.  I took the wheels of to give them a clean the other day and noticed one of the front wheels has only 4 bolts securing it.  at some point a previous owner has sheared one of the bolts and it is stuck in the hub - along with brake retaining screw sheared off - would this fail an MOT as wheel is possibly not fully secure?

looks like new hub if so 'cos have tried to remove sheared bolt with easy-outs and no movement.

cheers Andy

Offline jws VR6

• Just got here
« Reply #41 on: 14 March 2007, 20:32 »
hi guys,

recently got  a mk3 gti which has 5 stud wheel pattern.  I took the wheels of to give them a clean the other day and noticed one of the front wheels has only 4 bolts securing it.  at some point a previous owner has sheared one of the bolts and it is stuck in the hub - along with brake retaining screw sheared off - would this fail an MOT as wheel is possibly not fully secure?

looks like new hub if so 'cos have tried to remove sheared bolt with easy-outs and no movement.

cheers Andy

pretty sure this is a failure. Heat it up with a gas torch then try easy outs.

Offline GolfMad

• Not said much yet
« Reply #42 on: 14 March 2007, 20:45 »
hi, thanks for reply, wouldnt heating it up cause the metal to expand? it is made all the more complicated a the bolt that has sheared has so at an angle and not flush so trying to drill a pilot hole for the easy out is a right pain in the @rse.

Offline catflea

• Not said much yet
« Reply #43 on: 13 January 2008, 18:49 »
When you heat it up it will expand.  The idea is that it breaks any point where the stud and the hub have rusted together as they should expand at different rates. 

Offline d-evilgenius

• Not said much yet
« Reply #44 on: 23 January 2008, 23:41 »
thanks this will come in hand diamond geeza :cool:

Offline Gromit

• Not said much yet
« Reply #45 on: 24 January 2008, 21:36 »
Hi all,
I posted a topic on the Mk3 forum and thought I would see if anyone looking at this section can help, it's titled "Before I murder the salesguy" and basically boils down to this......
Bought a MK3 8v GTi for the missus a couple of weeks ago
Garage I bought it from put 12 months MOT on it
Came home from working away for a while to drive it after the missus complained of a knocking noise
Found that the front suspension strut mounts are badly worn to the extent that both front strut's move up and down when the car is jacked up by over an inch.
The front end of the car feels really vague when driving
Is this an MOT failure? Do I have any comeback on the garage to get this sorted??
Cheers

Offline SG10ICK

• Just got here
« Reply #46 on: 29 April 2008, 11:54 »
REF REVERSING LIGHTS
 IF THEY ARE ON THE VEHICAL THEY HAVE TO WORK FOR AN MOT
 SO IF YOU COVER OR BLANK OUT THE LENS IT WILL BE OK

Offline twisty_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #47 on: 09 May 2008, 21:37 »
Hi all,
I posted a topic on the Mk3 forum and thought I would see if anyone looking at this section can help, it's titled "Before I murder the salesguy" and basically boils down to this......
Bought a MK3 8v GTi for the missus a couple of weeks ago
Garage I bought it from put 12 months MOT on it
Came home from working away for a while to drive it after the missus complained of a knocking noise
Found that the front suspension strut mounts are badly worn to the extent that both front strut's move up and down when the car is jacked up by over an inch.
The front end of the car feels really vague when driving
Is this an MOT failure? Do I have any comeback on the garage to get this sorted??
Cheers
it depend upon how much movement the strut tops have as the tester will check with the car raised and on the floor so iff the movement was not present on the floor and the tester did not think that the play in the mounts were excessive then it may be tricky as it is down to the testers discresion i know this as i am a tester lol - they say on the course if in doubt pass and advise did u get an advisory notice with the mot????

Offline twisty_gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #48 on: 09 May 2008, 21:40 »
REF REVERSING LIGHTS
 IF THEY ARE ON THE VEHICAL THEY HAVE TO WORK FOR AN MOT
 SO IF YOU COVER OR BLANK OUT THE LENS IT WILL BE OK

also on the mot the reverse light do not have to work as they are not part of the test  the mot tester will not check them so it does not matter  im really up todate on this as i done my mot testers course in febuary so to clear it up reverse lights do not matter

Offline seamud

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #49 on: 20 January 2009, 23:41 »
i have just put a vr6 lump out of a k reg vento in to my mk2 g plate how does the mot work with emmissions?? does it still need
to have cat fitted? and are there any other issues that i need to do before u take her in