Author Topic: Noob @ Detailing.  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
  • .: Eat Me :.
Re: Noob @ Detailing.
« Reply #11 on: 03 June 2014, 11:23 »
Yeah that's the stuff I've been using booth. Just weren't sure if some foam lances were recommended over others.

An also what foam to buy. Really need to find a good sealant too then that's all the bits I want sorted.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 03 June 2014, 14:04 »
Lances are all pretty much the same.  Though these ones are suppossed to be good but are for Karcher K Series pressure washers.   http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/ultimate-snow-foam/karcher-k-series-ultimate-snow-foam-lance-new-and-improved.aspx

Decent snow foams include, Bilt Hamber Auto foam and Auto Brite Magifoam and Valet Pro snow foam.  I used to use Meguiars Hyper Wash but the Bilt Hamber stuff is miles better.  Thinner foam but shifts more dirt.

Sealeant wise something like Poorboys EX-P or the current fav on here seems to be Sonax NPT or Sonax BSD  as discussed here  http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=267549.0
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 03 June 2014, 14:11 »
Yeh I did see that post, but everyone keeps confusing me haha! An I asked something before on there an got blanked lol! We just paid £100 for the pressure washer + all the other bits yet that is 50 quid lol!!

But yeah, I think it might have a foam lance in the set haven't looked at it all yet.

So, what foam would you recommend, an whats the best method of using it? Can you just leave the bottle you put it into for the pressure washer topped up? Or dilute it or something?

An just need a good spray sealant an to know the better process an then I'm all good  :grin:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 03 June 2014, 16:30 »
I would be surprised if your kit included a proper snow foam lance, probably just a foam attachment which not necessarily the same thing.

All the foams I mentioned in my previous post are good.  You need to use about 1" snow foam solution in the lance bottle,  then top up to nearly full with warmish water and attach to  your pressure washer.  Each lance has a thickness/dilution adjustment and spray adjustment and you'll need to mess about with both these to get a good snow foam consistency.   If it's too thin, it'll just run straight off, you should be aiming for a thicker foam that will cling for a few minutes.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 03 June 2014, 17:17 »
Cheers mate, foam lance now purchased.

So, just got to find some decent foam and a good sealant. But I've never used either before lol! Any tips?

What do you lot use, or prefer using out of products you have tried?

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 03 June 2014, 19:39 »
I use Valet Pro PH Neutral, about an inch in the bottom of my spray bottle and get a nice thick foam. It's lasted me over a year too with regular washes. I think I'm going to get their citrus snow foam next so I'd recommend that (although I haven't tried it) I'm led to believe it's a bit better a shifting bugs and the like.

Sealant wise I really like AutoGlym Extra Gloss protection, but I haven't used anything else, and actually prefer to use their HD Wax or their Aqua Wax

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 04 June 2014, 01:46 »
Found them both on google. I'll wait an see what others suggest too. Cheers tho mate. I have got some wax but never really see the benefit of it. So thought I'd give a sealant a try. But know little about the types of products

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 04 June 2014, 14:33 »
I have got some wax but never really see the benefit of it. So thought I'd give a sealant a try. But know little about the types of products

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Wax tends to be harder wearing that a sealant and often a bit more difficult to apply. I also think I'm right in saying that Sealants can give a better finish on darker paints.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 04 June 2014, 15:11 »
I have got some wax but never really see the benefit of it. So thought I'd give a sealant a try. But know little about the types of products

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Wax tends to be harder wearing that a sealant and often a bit more difficult to apply. I also think I'm right in saying that Sealants can give a better finish on darker paints.

It tends to be the other way round.  Sealants usually offer greater longevity than wax, but wax gives greather depth to the finish.  Also note that you can apply wax on top of sealant but not usually sealant on top of wax as it may not bond properly.  Sealant being synthetic and wax of natural origin.  However, some quick detailers that act similar to a sealant can go on top of wax.

Finish-wise, sealants give a more sterile shine to cars but wax gives a deeper gloss.  This is especially apparent on dark cars.  The ideal combination would be wax over top of sealant but this can be time consuming.  It's personal choice of course and if you're looking to protect but save time then sealant is a good option.  That said, I would never miss out the wax phase of detailing.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2014, 15:12 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual