Author Topic: Steel Grey  (Read 1185 times)

Offline wyliecoyote

• Not said much yet
Steel Grey
« on: 25 May 2010, 20:20 »
Thought I'd tap into the knowledge here - must be a few with this colour. :smiley:

What products do you use - I want to bring out the metallic flake, not particularly after a mirror like finish, quite a few I've seen seem to have a satin like finish (if that makes sense?). Maybe they've used wax that brings out the depth in the flake? :nerd:

Please post your suggestions - the easier to use the product is, the better! :laugh: But mainly after the right look....

Cheers all.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: Steel Grey
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2010, 21:37 »
wax alone wont give you good flake pop you need to prep the clearcote first then apply your wax, wax will mainly add a protective layer on your clearcote and deepen the gloss that is produced by the polishing process.

have a look in the stickys at the top of this forum and come back to us with anything your not sure of.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline wyliecoyote

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2010, 21:44 »
Cheers Dan,

It's a new car so I was thinking of a pre-wax cleaner, sealant then a wax. Any specific suggestions for these? I know that a few like the finish that Zaino gives but open to user views :nerd:

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2010, 22:06 »
I've got a steel grey mk6 and there is definately more flake in it than there used to be in my mk5, but i use AG SRP as my polish with Jetseal 109 as the sealer topped with Dodo juice supernatural and i've got a lovely deep shine (when it's clean).
Also it's a bit weird but the paint always seems deeper when i've dressed the tyres, that might be just me though! :rolleyes:
The dodo juice supernatural is great stuff and i found it quite easy to apply and remove (once i could get it out the pot!) just don't go mad with it. The jetseal after the SRP leaves the surface lovely and smooth ready for the top coat.
Hope this helps.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2010, 22:10 »
Mmmmm zaino is ok but im not bowled over by it, but thats just my opinion ive got quite a few zaino products in my arsenal but i always reach for the other products over these atm.
as your car is new it shouldnt be too bad unless the stealers have let there monkeys near it for the pdi clean in which case id check over the paint with a fine tooth comb tbh

pre wax cleansers:
dodojuice limeprime lite
Britemax blackmax glaze

sealants:
chemical guys jetseal 109
"                 " M-seal
Zaino z2 pro is good but you dont get alot for your money really.

wax:
the list is a big one and alot are very good so basically you'll be spoilt for choice,
my favs are
dodojuice purple haze
"           " rainforest rub
"           " banana armour
"           " supernatural
"           " PH pro
"           " BV pro
megs mirrorglaze #16 paste wax
collinite 845,476s.
poorboys nattys blue paste wax

just a few there but the list goes on.

hope this helps.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline wyliecoyote

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2010, 20:32 »
Cheers for the suggestions Dan, working my through them :nerd:

Jimble, I've seen a couple of metallic Mk6s and I thought there seemed to be a lot more flake in them, but I haven't seen a Steel Grey one up close to confirm. The Mk5 seemed to be more of a base colour with a lot of clearcoat :undecided:

Thanks for your input guys.