Author Topic: Can't get my Vag Com to work still!!!!!!!!  (Read 5597 times)

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
Can't get my Vag Com to work still!!!!!!!!
« on: 08 November 2009, 12:38 »
Have had Vag Com lead for over a month now and after several attempts still can't get it to work. Have installed the software from the cd that came with it. Then plug into car and into laptop (with ignition on). The laptop comes up "your new hardware is installed and ready to use". Open up the 409-1 Vagcom software and get the usual screen come up. Go to test screen and perform the test and it comes up Vag Com Port Test

Com Port Status: OK
              Interface Status: 5-Modem

Then if I go to the Compatibility Test I get this

Vag Com OBD-II Compatibility Test
              Result: Interface not found

The blue light is on on the lead and all seems to be working as stated the laptop recognises that it is plugged in but I get nothing. I was advised to change the com port by right clicking on My Computer, then Properties. At Device Manager scroll down to ports and expand. Right click on USB to Serial Convertor then select Properties. Click on Advanced then change the com port in the drop down list. This all worked till I got to the Advanced screen and there is no drop down menu to allow me to change the com port. The laptop has 4 uSB ports and I have tried all four of them with the lead.

Does anyone have any idea as I have a very short temper with these things and am fed up with it. I thought Vag Com was a simple plug in and use thing!!!!!!!

Any help appreciated

Deano

Offline DaveSurf

• Not said much yet
  • 20v 1.8 T
Re: Can't get my Vag Com to work still!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2009, 13:04 »
''Click on Advanced then change the com port in the drop down list''

After doing this the screen that pops up is in the general tab (tabs at the top). Click on the port setting tab then the drop down list should be there.  Select the port you want to use, then select that port on vagcom.

If this doesn't work try changing the interface to a different port on the drop down list as the original may already be being used by something else and casuing a clash.

I was struggling with mine, and this way worked for me.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2009, 13:08 by DaveSurf »
FOR SALE - Mk4 Golf Gti Reflex Silver 5 Door £2400 ono ***new price *** - OPEN TO OFFERS (see for sale section)

Sleeper - tweaked by R-tech and goodies from Forge!

Offline Ant168

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2009, 11:25 »
same thing happening with mine too  :cry:

Can I ask whether the windows used and which interface would result in my probs??  I have tried windows XP pro, Vista and also 7.  The interfaces I've tried is 3.11,409.1 and even VCDS. 

Ant

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2009, 12:01 »
same thing happening with mine too  :cry:

Can I ask whether the windows used and which interface would result in my probs??  I have tried windows XP pro, Vista and also 7.  The interfaces I've tried is 3.11,409.1 and even VCDS. 

Ant

Hi Mate     I have not got a clue what you are on about!!!!! lol     I use Windows xp business edition and can't change the com port as there is no drop down link as I was told to change. I have given up for a bit as it cheesed me off severely last time!!!!!! If you know something let me know. The lead lights up and the laptop recognises it is plugged in but the Vagcom software will not find the car when connected so I cannot save the car settings or do a scan. It's a right pain in the ass!!!!!!!      Cheers      Deano

Offline navmk4gti

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2009, 19:12 »
right click the vag com icon that on your desktop.. go into compatability option.. change it to xp sp2...tick the "run as administrator" box too.. then save them settings... now plug in your vag com cable to your laptop.. go into device manager... coms and ports.. right click the vag com cable.. go into ports.. change it to com (port) 1 (aslong as its not in use.. if it is use another up to com (port) 5)... sorted  :wink:
theonestopLEDshop - upgrade LED lighting, car badges, wheel caps etc

Facebook/Instagram: @theonestopledshop

Drop me a message for more info and discounts!