Author Topic: OSR's "Silver Bullet"  (Read 25091 times)

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
Re: OSR's "Silver Bullet"
« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2016, 09:57 »
So got out for a quick shakedown yesterday, only up the road and back maybe 10 miles in total. All seems well but when I first started her up there was a pretty loud ticking noise which went away when I depressed the clutch pedal. I thought that was it - stop it all back as somethings obviously not right but seemed to be able to get all gears and it engaged OK so took it steady.

After about 2 miles the noise stopped, stopped and started the engine a couple of times as I popped to the shops and the noise didn't return - but of a weird one but hopefully sorted?!

The only thing I can think of was the starter motor teeth slightly interfering with the flywheel but then depressing the clutch wouldn't stop that?

Offline mike1990

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 17 January 2017, 21:02 »
Clutch release bearing?

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 18 January 2017, 09:26 »
Yeah this the conclusion I came to - definitely clipped it in securely so think it was maybe just seating itself. Touch wood all seems fine now albeit I've not driven the car for a few weeks!

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 22 January 2017, 19:00 »
So the saga continues. I realigned my gear cable linkage and it now gets all gears ok but when using reverse there's a weird smell - almost like burning and fish?! Doesn't really smell like burning clutch but I'm assuming that's what it is. My driveway is on a hill so I have to backup up the hill and then full lock 90deg corner round the side of the house and into the driveway if that makes sense.

Is there a chance it's simply not engaging reverse fully or is it likely to be due to the new VR6 clutch and SMF flywheel? It does seem to take more revs after the change of setup as it's a bit more "stally" and due to the tight corner I am having to kind of ride the clutch a bit to get it round and into the drive/garage?

What's not helping is I'm fairly sure I've got a sticking rear passenger side caliper, but that gives off a different smell and earlier this eve I literally only started the car and backed it from the driveway straight into the garage, maybe 5metres total so wouldn't have thought the brake would even get hot eneough to smell during that time?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #24 on: 22 January 2017, 20:09 »
My mums s3 is single mass converted and it never smells like burning clutch and such. Also never adjusted the linkages.

Riding the clutxh will burn a little bit but im not sure that quickly.
Its not often i ride the clutch round a corner reversing to find out though.

How stuck is the rear calliper because once i had a golf with a stuck calliper and after a few metres you could smell it

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 22 January 2017, 20:58 »
Cheers for the reply Lemski! The rear caliper is well stuck - jacked it up yesterday and couldn't turn the wheel by hand (handbrake was off!). Too the wheel off and also removed the caliper quickly. Guide pins are free so I thought I'd push the piston back in. Using the correct VW tool (turn and push) I had to put some serious force to get it to move but got it to go back in a little bit l, maybe 1/8 of a turn using the dimples as reference point. Now I wasn't expecting to get it to go much further in as all discs and pads were new about 500miles ago but it wasn't as easy as I'd have expected. Cap was off the brake fluid reservoir too so wasn't hydrolocked.

Only driven it about 6 miles after that and it ran ok with no real burning smell but I'm not convinced. Will jack it up again at the weekend and see if the wheels free. Might be time for a pair of new calipers and perhaps an upgrade to vented whilst I'm at it?

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 24 January 2017, 19:03 »
Vented rear setup on the way - found a good kit on eBay with new calipers carriers discs and pads.

I believe this is a straight bolt on so should be fairly straight forwards. With regards to bleeding the system after a caliper change I take it the calipers will take a fair amount to fill but can be done with my EasyBleed kit as long as I keep an eye on the fluid levels in the reservoir bottle? Also do I have to do the full system (4 corners including clutch slave) or can I get away with bleeding the tears in isolation?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #27 on: 25 January 2017, 17:01 »
If you do a calliper at a time and dont let the fluid drop to nothing in the res then you should be able to do just the rears. Obvously leave the calliper til last and if you can clamp the pupe to stop fluid youll loose even less fluid

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 31 January 2017, 17:37 »
Cheers Lemski - makes sense. I'm going to clamp the pipe as you suggest to help mitigate fluid loss and go from there. I was considering putting braided lines on whilst I was at it but the only ones I can seem to find are for mk2 conversions when fitting mk4 rear calipers? Had a look and the rear line is fairly long as it is a single piece with rubber and integrated hard line that has a flange connection to the hard line just above the rear axle beam. Still would have thought you could get replacement lines unless I'm being blind?

Parts update the kit arrived. Had a quick look and all seems in order - it's come with new bolts and high temp grease so all good. Bit random but the carriers are powder coated red (assume they're new old stock from a 4mo/anni) but the calipers are unpainted :laugh: I was umming and arring about painting them but looks like my mind has been made up for me :rolleyes:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #29 on: 31 January 2017, 18:20 »
You know i cant actually think if ive ever seen braided lines for the mk4 rear. But im sure someone like hel or goodridge would make them as you cant be the only person who wanted some