Author Topic: Interior Wetness ....what to check  (Read 38083 times)

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: Help - WET Carpet
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2007, 11:59 »
Can the scuttle tray get blocked on a mk3 ? That was always a problem area on the mk1s & mk2s.

This may not help you as it's not for the mk3, but it may give you some ideas, some of which you've already done. http://www.matey-matey.com/leak_prevention.shtml
« Last Edit: 14 May 2007, 12:08 by gibby »
......now officially dubless.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2007, 12:08 »
Yes, but that usually goes to the passenger side. I have had problems with that and the pollen filter.
But this guys problem is on the drivers side.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2007, 14:33 »
A little more info guys...

after i'd removed the carpet in the drivers footwell at the weekend, the sound deadening on the floor was sodden, and the section bhind the pedals was sodden up to a height of about 4 inches - i assumed this was from absorption from the floor and not anything indicative of a higher entry point - the steering column certainly exits the bulkhead above this section of deadening, and the area immediately underneath the column was dry on the sound proofing.

The drain points in the wings - am i looking for any form of drain pipework, or just a slot / hole  ??

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2007, 14:41 »
Slots and holes mate

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Vipes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2007, 16:08 »
I have dicovered a small ocean in my passenger side with whales too lol..Its rained very heavy yesterday and last night .I could see where the problem was.. well two realy  my heater blower had water dripping through it and my door seal had moved .Just cleaned a small forest out of the frount tub below the black trims on the screen and washed it out  with the hose the slots where matted with leaves and mud that drains well now .the door seal I have just knocked it back on it seems to have sealed.Now to dry out the inside Hope this helps

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2007, 16:32 »
^^^ Wrong side for this guys problem.

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2007, 21:16 »
Well folks with some trial and error, and your excellent advice i am getting somewhere...

strip out the drivers side carpet and seats again tonight - hosepipe all over the place with observer in car - 30 minutes and nothing :(   decided to set garden sprinkler under car - 30 minutes later still nothing :( :( 

Removed the scuttle trim seal, had a peak underneath and not a lot there -  a few dry leaves but not much else, bit more on the passenger side if anything, maybe because the pollen filter housing causing more hidden nooks and crannies.

Pretty much gave up at this stage - decided to put newspaper under the carpets and leave carpet loose so i can inspect regularly for signs of entry point.  Then thought i'd give the old shed a wash, lots of water - no wonder not much left in the Welsh reservoirs  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: - decided to lift carpet on the off chance - wet newspaper on the drivers side corner of the footwell, where the cable loom runs from the fusebox and the bonnet release cable runs.     Poured some water directly into the scuttle area, around the point where the bonnet cable comes through - all water ran out into the wing area, clearly visible by removing the side indicator unit.

So it might be the bonnet cable hole or maybe a cable grommet, but i'm getting nearer  :wink: :wink: :wink:

So tomorrow night will be removal of scuttle plates (need to get wipers off first), and also remove wheel arch liner for a decent look.   Judging by the amount of mud under the arches when i bought this car, i suspect there will be a fair amound at the base of the wing behind the mudflap and arch liner.

Many thanks for your continued effort with the trouble shooting - i think i have light at the end of the tunnel now  :smug: :smug: :smug:

Offline guyn17

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2007, 22:07 »
Just to fill you with a bit of hope I had exactly the same problem in my mark 3, tried everything to try and stop the leak, just like you have. In the end we found it trickling down cabling into the front foot well, my mechanic said a seal had gone to some cabling coming from the engine bay (can't remember which set of cabling though i'm afraid, he found it not me and it was quite a while ago!) Anyway sounds like you're on the right track, sorry i only just noticed this topic! Enjoy your soon to be dry carpets!!

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2007, 09:17 »
Just a little tip. Your carpets will dry out fine but the sound deadening underfelt will take ages! Best bet is go to a srappy and get some fresh dry stuff!

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2007, 10:16 »
Len,

I have the felt drying off to a T now - temporary washing line in garage, front and back doors open for a bit of through breeze.  Using a rolling pin   :grin: (or brush stale when the other half's looking  :wink: )  helps to get 70% of the water out initially.  Drying time now about 30 hours  :smug:

I have some unused Dynamat sound deadening spray, which is also supposedly sealant and underseal - i think the floorpan might get a coat of this too while i'm at it lol!!

I'm almost looking forward to this evenings installment  :laugh: :laugh: