Author Topic: Please help me! Golf Mk 3 1.8 GL wont start!  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Nino

• I live here
Please help me! Golf Mk 3 1.8 GL wont start!
« on: 23 September 2009, 15:28 »
Hey guys,

1stly gotta say nice site got alot of useful informtaion on here  :cool:

However im having some trouble with my Golf Mk3 1.8 GL and was hoping that anyone could help me fix my problem.

I Currently have my driving test on oct 9th hoping to pass 1st attempt, i aquired my golf from a family friend for a very good price, it has a full sevice history and im the 2nd registered owner.  :nerd:

Since new it has not had alot done to it, 1 Cluch change, and batt, its a P reg btw.

I got it parked on my drive at the moment while im hoping to pass 1st time, its just had a brand new MOT in july, didn't fail on anything just advised that the tyres get changed.

From when i had it, I was starting the car up for around 10 mins a week just to keep the engine ticking over.
Last week i went to do the same but i got an error message within my dails, "1N02" and the car would not start at all or even make an attempt to start, no sound from the starter motor or anything  :cry:

After looking on here i found out that this error was due to a major service needed. I followed the Tutorail posted here in order to reset it all but the car still will not start. and the error message has changed to "1N00" which i think means that the car on computer thingy for sevicing has been reset ok?

Now Should of my car at least tryed to of started when i got my error message? or isit normal for the car not to try and start?

I don't know an awful lot about cars to be honest, i did check the oil level in the car and it was very low so i topped it up with 10w/40.

As it stands my car will not start at all doen't even try to start or make any noises, the only things that do work are all my eletrics e.g central locking, windows, lights horn etc etc, ive tryed to use booster leads from another car to see if it was the battery but no change, i think the battery is ok as my Digital clock hasn't lost any time.

If anyone can please help me i will love you forever!

Sorry for the essay and thankyou for reading  :smiley:

VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

gtigolfthree

Re: Please help me! Golf Mk 3 1.8 GL wont start!
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2009, 20:10 »
Hi, and welcome to the site, better to post this one in the main mk3 section just copy and paste and does your car have an immobiliser?

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2009, 20:33 »
Hi Mate     Good luck with the test. It sounds like an immobiliser fault. The error codes you mentioned would not affect the car starting as mine has the same but starts every time on the button (touch wood). But also check the leads on the starter to make sure the live feed to the starter is still intact.     Hope this helps     Cheers     Deano

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2009, 20:44 »
Thanks guys, i will try that dean, and i will also repost this :) im not sure if it has an immobiliser, how would i check?
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door