Author Topic: Steering column lower spring  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Brighouse-gti

• Here all the time
Steering column lower spring
« on: 07 August 2017, 21:51 »
The lower spring on the steering column has gone, literally, and has caused the lower bearing cage to become loose, making the steering wheel have some play in it. After a bit of tinkering I've come to find that to remove the steering column I'll need to drill out some sheer bolts that hold the column in. What a ball ache!! Does anyone know of an alternative fix, one which doesn't involve having to f*** around removing all the stalks and parts of the dash, drilling bits of metal out just to put a little spring on?! Its a potential MOT fail so I know one way or the other I've got to sort it. Hopefully there's an easier way!

Offline Craigwilson

• Here all the time
Re: Steering column lower spring
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2017, 10:26 »
you can remove the sheer bolts without drilling, either get a set of vice grips on them or a few chaps with a chisel and they come out no problem. there not mad tight

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Steering column lower spring
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2017, 22:27 »
It's fiddly but not difficult you chap the shear bolts as mentioned ones easier than the other depending on left or right handed 😀

I forgot to put mine in after putting it all back together after some little scrote decided to have a go at nicking it.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.