Author Topic: Pulling to one side  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Aar0n

• Just got here
Pulling to one side
« on: 05 February 2018, 11:18 »
Right this may seem like a fairly common and simple fault with a simple solution but I'm stumped. Car has been pulling left for a long time now and I can't seem to figure what's causing it.
About a week ago my rear left caliper seized, after a 5 minute drive the disk was glowing red.  I have since changed that caliper, rear disks and pads and rear wheel bearings but I still have a pull.

Since August I've installed brand new top mounts and bearings all round, wishbone bushes front and rear, arb bushes, steering rack bush, rear beam bush, track rod ends, ball joints, arb droplinks, steering rack boot. All bushes and top mounts are also now powerflex road bushes.

Calipers don't appear to be sticking either... so I'm lost. Tyres are pretty f**ked now and I've not changed the suspension struts but thats about it, everything else is new, so if anyone had any suggestions would-be massively appreciated.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Re: Pulling to one side
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2018, 17:59 »
May transpire to be a daft question given the lengths that you've already gone to, but have you had the tracking aligned?
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Aar0n

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2018, 20:05 »
I have yeah, more than once inbetween jobs at different garages.

Although noticed tonight that after a bit of a drive there is a lot of heat coming from that rear left wheel. Doesn't appear to be any discoloration on the disk either?

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2018, 21:24 »
Take the rear wheel off and see if the caliper is still sticking. Also what was the results on the tracking? Did you get a print out or was it one of them cheap alignments?
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline Aar0n

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2018, 21:45 »
Alright will do, and didn't get a print out no. Was just a £40 jobby. Although I was there with my mate as we was doing it one time and was all straight and correct within the tolerance I believe?

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2018, 12:08 »
Did you change the guide pins when you replaced the caliper?
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Aar0n

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2018, 13:36 »
No just the caliper, both seemed to moving freely though?

Offline Aar0n

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2018, 13:53 »
Ok so narrowed it down to definitely the bearing or brake. I've now had a new flexi hose put on, cleaned and regreased the slide pins and adjusted the handbrake cable.

In the air the wheel spins, but not half as much compared to the other side. A mate recently overightened the wheel bearing that has caused some damage to the stub axle shaft. The new outer bearing was a little tight sliding on, after removing the destroyed over tightened one.
So thought it could he this, however with the caliper removed and the wheel on, it spins freely with no noise and appears to have little to no resistance.