Author Topic: Are your headlights too bright?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Are your headlights too bright?
« on: 24 March 2018, 12:34 »
Just read this:

https://www.rac.co.uk/press-centre#/pressreleases/motorists-claim-to-being-regularly-left-dazzled-by-modern-vehicle-headlights-2458363

If I'm reading that correct, there are standards for headlights on new vehicles and those standards must be met.

But people say other peoples' headlights are too bright (presumably they never say their own are...) so the problem is either that the government regulations are wrong or an awful lot of people are modifying their headlights and the MOT isn't picking it up.

How many of you here think that other cars on the road are too bright at night? (Ignoring the pillocks with genuinely main beam on!)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
Re: Are your headlights too bright?
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2018, 12:52 »
Only the ones that have put xenon kits in halogen light units .

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2018, 13:56 »
Only the ones that have put xenon kits in halogen light units .

That and people that have their lights not adjusted right.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2018, 14:55 »
Normal headlights are mega bright if you stare into them and many people do as they get object fixation. If you don't look directly into them then you not be dazzled. The cut off is so abrupt that over bumps sometimes it looks like they are flashing especially Mercs with the new LED lights.

People moan about people sitting at traffic lights with their foot on the brake dazzling them but again unless you sit staring at the lights it is not a problem.

The badly adjusted and aftermarket Xenon's in reflector housings are a different matter though as that is like someone coming at you with main beam on.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2018, 17:05 »
I suffer with glare at night from car headlights and some appear brighter than others.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline gasco1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2018, 17:26 »
Me too. I think all modern car lights are too bright. Its good to see where you are going at night, but if you can't see anything because you are dazzled by on coming cars then there is no point in having bright lights. Might aswell go back to having candles for head lights.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2018, 17:52 »
This is the same as "are LED streetlights too bright"...

in fact they are in many cases NOT brighter than the old lights... :tongue:

What is happening is that the "colour temperature" of the light emitted has a higher kelvin value (k). This light is PERCIVED by the human eye as "brighter" as it resembles the hue of daylight. Also the difference/contrast between the light & the unlit surroundings is greater as our eyes are forced to use more of the daylight sensor in our eyes & not the low light sensors.

LED light by its construcion of the LED has a greater intensity close up than xenon bulbs. This is why when powerfull LED headtorches first came out in circa 2010 they were classed under the same CE/EN as lasers on CD players etc.

The EU changed the rules for green/eco mass usage of LED, but the probblem is still the same, LED close up is more intense than anything else, & LED has always been a struggle to project the light beam down the road, compared to Xenon.

The other main problem is the headlamp beam rules & MOT. The headlights are measured pointing straight out & parralel /horizontal to the road. Thats not good when you are in a low car & have a 4x4 facing you with its headlights basically on your seated eye level...

Standard VW xenon are approx 3750K...halogen was circa 2500K...LED is made in any colour temp, but usually circa 4000K-6000K...

BLUE Light dangers:-
The higher the K value, the more blue wavelength light the beam emits, simple fact, doesn't matter what is used to produce the light either. The blue wavelength light is what we have lots of in daytime. Around 2001yr scientists discovered a third mechanisum in the human eye which just responds to blue light. This is linked to hormone, melatonin production & human body clock. Basically is registers blue rich light & tells us its daytime & thus WAKE UP...

White LEDs ATM are mainly constructed by making a blue LED & then coating with yelow phosphor, which is why white LEDs look like yellow squares when unlit. If you split the light emited from these you find 33% & higher is blue wavelength. Those older "yellow" lights are 16% blue wavelength & even less.

Mass usage of cheap LEDs & higher than 3500K temps is ruining our eyes, health, the environment & infact creating MORE sky glow & we will see less of the stars even thought the LED lights are more focused. WHY? Because Blue wavelength light scatters more than any other light, which is why it is used on police/fire etc, & its what daylight is mainly.

I have spent the past few years trying (unsucessfully) to get my local council to stop fitting cheap badly design high K LED streetlights & have collected masses or proper authrative reasearch on this..plus I studied lighting design as part of my Uni studies..
« Last Edit: 24 March 2018, 17:56 by golfdave »

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2018, 19:46 »
I think one of the problems is that often the excessivly bright lights are fitted to SUV's so they are poitioned much higher to begin with.  Range Rover lights seem particularly bright when approaching and also when they are in your rear view mirror

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2018, 20:32 »
I think you might be right about suv's. Xenon and led lights are very directional, the raised to eye level height thing will no doubt be one source of pain.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2018, 09:18 »
I always move my eyesight to the nearside kerb so as to not look directly at oncoming headlamps.

It's not just SUV's with higher mounted lights, cyclists seem intent on blinding motorists with all manner of flashing, high intensity lights mounted on frames, seats, handlebars, helmets, etc, etc. Oh, and their luminous lycra!!
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.