Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 532923 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1880 on: 18 September 2018, 10:36 »
Looking as smart as ever there Jim :smiley:

Cheers Watts  :smiley:

Was too dark to get a good pic!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1881 on: 18 September 2018, 12:44 »
Got mine washed now, first time for two months. Barring the mess on the rear bumper, all things considered I suppose it wasn't quite as bad as I thought. A good powerwash rinse followed by a citrus snow foam got it pretty much sorted. After washing and drying, the glass was cleaned then treated to a spray of Gtechniq C2v3 and the paint was qd'd. A final buff with the Dodo Juice Fur mf brought up a good gloss :smiley: The wind held off other than one big gust that left me with a good covering of snow foam :rolleyes: Finished off with a fluids check under the bonnet and a quick spray and wipe to tidy a few areas up. Much better now :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1882 on: 18 September 2018, 13:09 »
Got mine washed now, first time for two months. Barring the mess on the rear bumper, all things considered I suppose it wasn't quite as bad as I thought. A good powerwash rinse followed by a citrus snow foam got it pretty much sorted. After washing and drying, the glass was cleaned then treated to a spray of Gtechniq C2v3 and the paint was qd'd. A final buff with the Dodo Juice Fur mf brought up a good gloss :smiley: The wind held off other than one big gust that left me with a good covering of snow foam :rolleyes: Finished off with a fluids check under the bonnet and a quick spray and wipe to tidy a few areas up. Much better now :smiley:

Sounds good... but we need pictures....  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1883 on: 18 September 2018, 13:51 »

Sounds good... but we need pictures....  :smiley:

Sorry. I had an important engagement as soon as I finished (the kettle)....

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1884 on: 18 September 2018, 14:18 »
Very nice  :cool:
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1885 on: 21 September 2018, 11:49 »
Wash day! 

ValetPro Bilberry on wheels
ValetPro Citrus Pre Wash on bodywork
DI pressure wash rinse
Wheel wash with Swissvax Car Bath shampoo; Wheel Woolies; WoWo wheel mitt; VP detailing brush
2 bucket bodywork wash with Swissvax Car Bath, WoWo lambswool mitts.
DI pressure wash rinse
Open ended hose rinse
Dried with Gyeon Silk Dryer towels
Tyres dressed with Achem Hi Shine Long Life Tyre Dressing
Tailpipes polished with Mother’s Mag and Aluminium Polish

Bum shots!

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1886 on: 21 September 2018, 18:17 »
A tidy behind indeed! :smiley:

Just a thought, I powerwash my car first then snowfoam, should I snowfoam first on to a dry car? Taa :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1887 on: 21 September 2018, 18:24 »

Just a thought, I powerwash my car first then snowfoam, should I snowfoam first on to a dry car? Taa :smiley:

Thanks Watts. 

Today I didn’t snow foam as it was too blowy out, so just citrus pre wash, but usually I do both and always snow foam first onto a dry car as the foam clings better to a dry car.  I used to very lightly wet the car before snow foaming but since doing it onto a dry car instead, I noticed that it clings better for sure. Sometimes the protection is so effective, it hinders the snow foam from clinging but less so on a dry car.   
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1888 on: 21 September 2018, 19:04 »

Thanks Watts. 

Today I didn’t snow foam as it was too blowy out, so just citrus pre wash, but usually I do both and always snow foam first onto a dry car as the foam clings better to a dry car.  I used to very lightly wet the car before snow foaming but since doing it onto a dry car instead, I noticed that it clings better for sure. Sometimes the protection is so effective, it hinders the snow foam from clinging but less so on a dry car.

That makes sense, thanks :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1889 on: 21 September 2018, 20:58 »
Good efforts Watts and Rebecca. Welcome back to the clean car owners club Watts :smiley:.

Something I also wasn’t sure of when I first got my pressure washer.

Like Rebecca, I also snowfoam onto a dry car as I found it clings better to a dry car than a wet car. While the snow foam’s dwelling, I fill my three buckets and clean the ‘fiddly bits’; wheels, brake calipers, exhaust tailpipes, the bottoms of the sills (the bit below the black extended sill trim that’s covered with stone chip protection), wheel arch liners and (with a detailing brush) badges, front grille and inside the petrol filler flap and door shuts.

By the time I’ve cleaned those bits, most of the snow foam has slid off the car, so if there’s any left in bottle attached to the lance, I give the car a quick second snow foaming until the water runs clear through the snow foam lance, which also helps minimise the risk of the lance clogging up. Then I pressure wash any remaining snow foam off before the main wash.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl