Author Topic: Advice please - GTI or R?  (Read 4990 times)

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
Re: Advice please - GTI or R?
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2018, 21:45 »
try both.... see which you like more/can afford... done  :grin:

Good luck  :smiley:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2018, 08:02 »
try both.... see which you like more/can afford... done  :grin:

Good luck  :smiley:

Not quite. If you like the more expensive one, but can't afford it yet...save up a bit longer.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 12 September 2018, 21:37 »
Don't let miles put you off a car. People get too hung up on what the odometer says. I'd rather have a car that's done 70k motorway miles than a car that's done 40k getting thrashed round the local retail park on a Saturday night.

I was in the same situation as you, I really wanted an R but ended up going for a really well spec'd GTI. Wrap some Michelin PS4's on and you'll be fine.

Dynaudio is a must for me however I was quite impressed with the standard system coming from a Fiesta ST200 which tbh, was awful.

Good luck with the search.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2018, 09:17 »
I wasn't impressed with my first Mk7 audio system. I came from a Vauxhall Insignia (which had the standard audio) and the difference was quite a lot for the worse.

However, after a while, I didn't notice it - and I love my music.

On the other hand, my colleague's Mk7 with DynAudio was lovely, definitely better.

I'd say though it was hard to tell the difference without comparing them back to back though - its not obvious at all otherwise....

Don't get hung up on it would be my advice. The difference in the condition and price of second hand vehicles is the main thing, not the colour or the options.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2018, 12:59 »
Whilst I like the R, it's a little impractical for me. So went GTI PP. Wrapped all corners in Rainsport 3's and I've not broken traction yet.

Impractical I mean you lose some storage space due to rear diff, it is a thirsty motor regardless of how it's driven. However, the sound is rather nice, and DSG is a great box.

Mine is manual and 3 door, but I can put a full 27" mtb in it (front wheel off), and it can be remarkable frugal (44mpg average as I commute to Leeds). Manual box is slick and put your go pedal down and it really does pull.

The big thing for me, is that the engine is fantastic, and has great potential. 330hp from a stage 1 map, can't lose. R doesn't tune as well but it'll put the power down better.

As already said it depends on where you are in life and what you can really afford. See you around Sheff.

Offline titchy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 16 September 2018, 09:08 »
Right this car search is getting on my tats now  :grin:

Drove a Mk7.5 (non PP) yesterday but realistically it’s £2k over budget and the dealer wouldn’t drop a penny off so walked away.

I liked the new infotainment and digital cockpit, also the lack of radar in front grille and the fact it is the current mark and probably will be for a couple more years.

We can afford it but it’s more than what we’d like to spend.

Alternatively I’ve seen a mk7 with 20k miles that’s £4K less and has the performance pack. Also seen an R For £2k less and just about in budget  :undecided:

We definitely can’t afford the facelifted PP version. So it’s mk7 GTI PP, mk7 R or mk7.5 non PP.

Is the newer car worth the extra and sacrificing LSD? I know this is all down to personal choice but appreciate your thoughts nonetheless.
Black, 3 Door, MY '16 GTI.
Dynaudio, AppConnect.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 16 September 2018, 09:18 »
I know it's not a Golf but have you looked at the Octavia vRS? You'd be able to get the dogs bollocks for the price of a basic 7.5.

Performance pack was simply a must have for me.

Offline titchy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2018, 09:25 »
Not a fan of the looks to be honest or the interior. Cheers though.
Black, 3 Door, MY '16 GTI.
Dynaudio, AppConnect.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2018, 09:37 »
I don't think the interior is too bad, it's not on par with the Golf obviously but I did enjoy owning one.

I'm in Sheffield sometimes so if you fancy a look at mine I wouldn't mind taking you out for a spin.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2018, 09:49 »
Well following Ryan90GTI's suggestion I was going to suggest the Leon Cupra, but if your heart is set on a Golf then I suppose the question to ask is how much the cars you're have looked at are relative to other cars of similar age/mileage/spec? You mention the dealer wouldn't offer a penny off, but was the car already priced low, or are there other similar cars out there for less? Can they offer cheap finance or other incentives to sweeten the deal?

20k miles and £4k less, but at what age/condition? If it's the last of the pre-facelift cars with a few options fitted then that sounds promising, but for something with base spec and a couple of years older then £4k more for the newer car and extra features may be money well spent.

Whether you prefer the diff and uprated brakes over the newer 7.5 features is your call. Personally I notice the active info display and upgraded media every time I drive the car, but the diff i'd maybe only get the benefit when pressing on.

« Last Edit: 16 September 2018, 09:53 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD