Author Topic: Supersport top mounts, or similar "shallow" top mounts to drop car another 10mm?  (Read 25815 times)

Offline The Dave

• I live here
As it is:

-10mm

As it is:

-10mm:

Would I need adjustable ARB drop links as obviously the lower you go people say of course they're prone for driveshafts catching the anti roll bar... The drivers catches when I drop off a sort of small kerb at work to exit the carpark so think they'd be a must if I go down 10mm more? Or is it different because of the top mounts, I think I'd go for the full top mount kit from supersport...

Photoshops are a bit small, sorry lol but I think it'd be ok. Don't want it to destroy the ride though, I don't drive it hard or anything mind.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
If you use top spring plates the ride should say the same as you are not shortening the travel.

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Are they reliable, or will they wear my top mounts out quickly? Anyone used these before as a cheap alternative to lower the front? :)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Are they reliable, or will they wear my top mounts out quickly? Anyone used these before as a cheap alternative to lower the front? :)

I have used them all ok, loads of people run them, will not affect the top mount.

The only difference is the shape (flatter) so they lower the front more.

Offline The Dave

• I live here
A brief bit of googling suggests your springs can clonk/creak with these fitted :-S

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
A brief bit of googling suggests your springs can clonk/creak with these fitted :-S

I had no issue's on my mk3.  :smiley:

Offline Grand Master Patch

• I live here
Don't forget the front and rear arches are different heights on the bodywork as standard  :wink:

What?

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
As standard my front and rear looked different heights

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
The gap at the top suggests the top mounts are worn.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
yea they are and im replacing soon, but people have said its normal to have a gap after fitting coilovers?
just wanted to elimante the gap

To be honest this was my mk3 even with new top mounts, I believe having a gap is always an issue with coilovers.