Author Topic: Screen Centre of Dash Not Working  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Screen Centre of Dash Not Working
« on: 09 April 2019, 07:09 »
I just started my car up this morning and noticed while driving down the road the small screen between the dials, centre of dash console is completely blank and not working.  When I got to my destination I tried turning the engine off and restarting a couple times to see if it was just the car being a bit tempermental as I have had the odd thing like this happen before and then be OK again after a restart.  However on this occasion it remains to be blank and not work, even after several restarts. 

My car is still in warranty and I also have an extended warranty.  Is there anything i can try, to see if I can get the screen to come back on or if it's fried/completely gone, will this be covered by Warranty if i get the dealer to fix it?

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Re: Screen Centre of Dash Not Working
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2019, 10:00 »
The Screen I am referring to is the Multi-Function Display. 

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2019, 10:24 »
Friend of mine had this happen in his GTD recently. It just came back to life again after a cold start (car left parked for a while) and its been fine since as far as I know.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2019, 10:25 »
I'd say straight to the dealers. Should be covered under warranty - might even be a new instrument binnacle?

Another option is to disconnect the battery for a while then see what happens on reconnecting it (although you'll get a good few errors come up temporarily).

Can't think of anything that you could do beforehand to do VWs job for them lol.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2019, 12:00 »
thanks for the advice guys.  I have just gone back to my car during the lunch break and discovered it working fine again as if nothing was wrong.  This is not the first instance of odd behaviour I have noticed with the screen over the past couple weeks.  As the other day instead of showing the mileage on the bottom left corner of MFD it showed a symbol which looked like half of a speedo dial. I guess I have an intermitent fault occuring here.  Guess seeing as it is now working I will keep a close eye on it and then on the occasion the next fault may occur  I will contact VW to book the car in.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2019, 12:40 »
Did you have cruise control activated when the mileage display was replaced by the half speedo symbol? In my Polo GTI, that’s what the display shows when cruise control is activated.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2019, 13:25 »
I hadn't gone near any of the buttons on the wheel when the half speedo symbol was shown on MFD display. So it was all a bit odd at the time.  Also I could not cancel it until i restarted the car, as I had thought the same at the time that the cruise control had been activated even though I didn't touch any buttons, but apparently not?   Will keep an eye on it I think.