Author Topic: MK 7.5 Oil Service  (Read 2541 times)

Offline ig741

• Just got here
MK 7.5 Oil Service
« on: 04 April 2019, 21:58 »
Hi all,

I'm a new/first time GTI owner.  I've recently bought an 18 plate Mk 7.5.  It had done about 5000 miles when I bought it, i've done a few hundred more over the last few months, nothing major, just city driving back and forward to work.

I've got a message on the the dash that it's due an oil service in a couple of weeks.  What is that?  An oil change?  Is it important being that the car's pretty new and not done many miles?  ...or should i just be having a look at that nothing menacing comes out on   the dipstick? (assuming it has one)

Cheers

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: MK 7.5 Oil Service
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2019, 22:38 »
If I had just bought a car at the money you did a couple of quid more then you know it has fresh oil is a no brainier to me  :smiley:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2019, 22:45 »
Is this a serious question? An 18 plate is likely a year old so yes, it probably does need a service, particularly as it is telling you. Golfs can be on annual/distance or long life servicing, with low mileage and short journeys I'd stick with annual as in fact I do.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2019, 08:48 »
My 1st service light came on a few weeks ago. The car was registered on 1st June 2018 and has done 7500 miles. Mainly town and lots of short runs and stuck in traffic which I think is the reason for the early light.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2019, 09:49 »
My 1st service light came on a few weeks ago. The car was registered on 1st June 2018 and has done 7500 miles. Mainly town and lots of short runs and stuck in traffic which I think is the reason for the early light.

Yes, that’s likely to be the reason. Pretty certain the normal countdown to the service starts 30 days before the service is due. However, if the oil quality sensors identify a deterioration in oil quality before the service is normally due as a result of the specific use of the vehicle (e.g. short journeys), then I’d expect the ‘service due’ warning to be triggered early.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2019, 10:27 »

My oil service light came on my 68 reg GTI after 7 months/4000 miles. The supplying dealer didn't reset the count down timer when they registerd it and done the PDI. They said pop down anytime and they'll do it. But they are an hours drive away so they said ignore it, the cars not due it's service until 12 months are 10k miles.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2019, 12:06 »

My oil service light came on my 68 reg GTI after 7 months/4000 miles. The supplying dealer didn't reset the count down timer when they registerd it and done the PDI. They said pop down anytime and they'll do it. But they are an hours drive away so they said ignore it, the cars not due it's service until 12 months are 10k miles.
So technically you're car could be low on oil and the dealer says ignore the car and listen to them  :grin: they couldn't even do the pdi right

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2019, 12:19 »
OP - Oil from a year old engine will have metal engine deposits in it as the engine has bedded/run in, and if the car hasn't that done many miles it will have started to degrade anyway.

For the sake of £179, why not just get it done?

:huh:
« Last Edit: 05 April 2019, 15:12 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2019, 13:19 »
The car isn't low on oil, I check it regularly. As for 'metal engine deposits in it as the engine has bedded/run in, and if the car hasn't that done many miles it will have started to degrade anyway'. The mileage to next service would be the one that was showing up. That still shows 3k miles. The car isn't mine, it's going back in 2 and half years, so I'm paying for a service that it doesn't need

Offline NewbieGTIP

• Not said much yet
  • If it ain’t broke..... it probably soon will be.
« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2019, 15:07 »

They did the exact same thing on my dads S3, it must of had its PDI prior to being a show room model so after 8 months or so and very little mileage it came up wanting a service. Audi were useless telling him at first it did need one, then no it doesn’t then changed there minds again, he took it down and they just reset it and did a software upgrade whilst it was in.

In IG741’s case though given it’s an 18 plate I’d say please don’t skip a service a £25k+ car warrants a sub £200 service.
#330 Gti Clubsport.