Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2765402 times)

Offline GS WAX

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9400 on: 21 April 2019, 23:50 »
Great to see the forum working again, during the break I managed to do/have a few things done to the CS40, found the source of an unusual rattle, due to having a passenger in the car for the first on a certain piece of road,long story short turns out to be the passenger seat backrest , just now deciding wether to book in to VW or take an attempt myself...
 Also on Saturday took a trip to AKS tuning to have the CSS alloy subframe ,control arms and rear roll bar fitted along with a full geo, turns out my car already has the css arb fitted,just as well we checked the part numbers before removal, so if anyone wants said roll bar give AKS a shout, subframe and arms seem a nice addition imo ,really improves the feel of the road without any harshness and also makes the body feel tighter, like driving an Audi now but without the dullness :smiley:

Also finally found time to give the ol gal a wash and spritz for the first time since last November , should be ashamed of myself but it’s typical “plumbers leaking taps “ scenario being as it’s my day job :grin:

« Last Edit: 22 April 2019, 07:28 by GS WAX »
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #302

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #9401 on: 21 April 2019, 23:56 »
I finally got my gap money back from Vw this week.  Only took 4 weeks but doesn’t matter as the dealer told me I’d get it back ‘one day.’ Great post sales service there eh?

Also fitted some of these:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122717782647

Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9402 on: 22 April 2019, 19:47 »
Taken a gamble on yet another set of replacement mirror caps. I don't have much luck with these. Bought a set of carbon fibre covered ones and snapped one of the fitting clips. Had the original red ones wrapped in carbon lookalike which were great until an artic decided to pull into my lane unannounced and removed my wing mirror in its entirety :rolleyes: So back to red again until I got an oem set of gloss black ones, I really wanted cf but the non-oem ones didn't fit quite as I wanted. The gloss black ones were great though until I clipped one whilst reversing and removed yet another whole mirror :embarrassed:, bugger. So yet again, back to red where I've been for some time. But today, another set of cf covers ordered. Third time lucky, hopefully :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9403 on: 23 April 2019, 10:11 »
Taken a gamble on yet another set of replacement mirror caps. I don't have much luck with these. Bought a set of carbon fibre covered ones and snapped one of the fitting clips. Had the original red ones wrapped in carbon lookalike which were great until an artic decided to pull into my lane unannounced and removed my wing mirror in its entirety :rolleyes: So back to red again until I got an oem set of gloss black ones, I really wanted cf but the non-oem ones didn't fit quite as I wanted. The gloss black ones were great though until I clipped one whilst reversing and removed yet another whole mirror :embarrassed:, bugger. So yet again, back to red where I've been for some time. But today, another set of cf covers ordered. Third time lucky, hopefully :whistle:

What have you ordered? The OEM gloss black one are great, so easy to fit. I tried some similarly priced carbon ones and they were just ridiculous. As they are carbon coated they seem to make the plastic shell they are fitted over too tight. And £450 for the OEM carbon is just a bit too much for me to justify!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9404 on: 23 April 2019, 11:52 »

What have you ordered? The OEM gloss black one are great, so easy to fit. I tried some similarly priced carbon ones and they were just ridiculous. As they are carbon coated they seem to make the plastic shell they are fitted over too tight. And £450 for the OEM carbon is just a bit too much for me to justify!

I agree with the rigidity, but if I can get them on without breaking anything all should be good (warming them first seems to help). The oem gloss black ones are great and fit so well (as they should) but I wanted cf ones. I have one spare passenger side oem gloss black cap if anyone is interested....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9405 on: 23 April 2019, 12:27 »

I agree with the rigidity, but if I can get them on without breaking anything all should be good (warming them first seems to help). The oem gloss black ones are great and fit so well (as they should) but I wanted cf ones. I have one spare passenger side oem gloss black cap if anyone is interested....

Good luck is all I say! I warmed them and bought what I thought were good quality ones. They were so tight trying to get on that snapped the thin runner off the mirror housing on both sides. At that point, I gave up and they got returned.  The eBay seller assured me they were a perfect fit. But the OEM ones pop on and off so easy when you know what your doing and the carbon ones were just never going to fit. It was a shame as they looked fantastic  :sad:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9406 on: 23 April 2019, 12:54 »
Good luck is all I say! I warmed them and bought what I thought were good quality ones. They were so tight trying to get on that snapped the thin runner off the mirror housing on both sides. At that point, I gave up and they got returned.  The eBay seller assured me they were a perfect fit. But the OEM ones pop on and off so easy when you know what your doing and the carbon ones were just never going to fit. It was a shame as they looked fantastic  :sad:

This will definitely be the last time I try! It must be possible, loads of people have them :rolleyes: Luckily I'm very patient and careful in fitting things and never, never try to force them or use a hammer :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9407 on: 23 April 2019, 13:38 »

This will definitely be the last time I try! It must be possible, loads of people have them :rolleyes: Luckily I'm very patient and careful in fitting things and never, never try to force them or use a hammer :whistle:

Fingers crossed you get some that go on!
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9408 on: 23 April 2019, 16:57 »

Just bought a set of Borbet FF1 wheels in Dark Titan.  Usual pre clean with Bilberry wheel cleaner and Tardis followed by a coat of C5 Wheel Armour now leaving overnight to dry.
Only problem being is that the centre cap diameter is smaller on the Borbet than the standard VW cap and I would much prefer the VW badge. Just wondered on the best way to get over this?

Offline Jdm owner

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9409 on: 23 April 2019, 19:46 »
During the break, I fitted a Racingline turbo elbow and inlet pipe. Some nice underbonnet bling and there was a definite improvement in response, not a lot, like when you replace a filthy air filter. I considered a Racingline filter too but since I've prepaid for my next service which should include a new element, I decided to stick with oem. I'm not made of money you know :whistle: :rolleyes:

Oh, and I gave the old motor a wash too.
ss

You will see a lot better benefits with the turbo muffler delete and a a good aftermarket filter R600 or Apr Ie variant.  :smiley: