Author Topic: Smart Watches  (Read 3300 times)

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
Smart Watches
« on: 22 May 2012, 15:20 »
Whats your views on these in particular for android?

I like the idea especially when out and about such as cycling and jogging, but battery life is poor until we see more bluetooth 4.0 technology as most need a charge every 20-48hours. I'm thinking of getting a gen2 Sony Smartwitch as the gen1 is soooooo flawed! Cool features like G-sensor and heart rate monitor and that it can stream music from your phone and has its own headphone port and to read messages, but I'm not sure if its worth it in a way when I compare it to my Citizen ecodrive watch?

Current choices on market I have seen to far are:
I'm Watch (too expensive)
Pebbles
Sony Smartwitch

The cool thing I did like about the smartwitch was one of the "Torque" app features that you can make a gauge appear on the watch and use it as a gauge!

Anyway discuss before I keep mumbling on!

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

Offline damien010685

• I live here
Re: Smart Watches
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2012, 16:15 »
I love tech but seriously apart from heart moniter etc what is the point a watch with heaphones???? There is ipod nanos and heaps of mp3 players An iphone or android phone does it all..... IMO a watch should be a watch... Certainly not gonna watch a movie or listen to music on my wrist!

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2012, 17:10 »
The things they are coming out with these days!

Doesn't seem to be "one device does all" anymore, seems to be loads of devices that do the same thing, just some bigger then others!

Why do you need a headphone port?

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2012, 18:25 »
They are basic in function, just a simple firmware, all it does is send and receive data that is relevant via Bluetooth. Such as when a SMS is received, it sends a signal saying you have a new message or 2 new messages etc. It vibrates to let you know and shows an icon, you click it and it syncs the message again via Bluetooth, same for FB, Twitter and email updates. You can also say recieve a phone call in a meeting use a quick saved message saying "in meeting will call you back later". Rather than digging your phone out and ramaging for it to do the same thing. In essence its like a pager really, just receiving updates from your phone.

You can design apps to interpret its sensor, there's a fitness app already that utilizes it. It tracks GPS & heart rate, which is cool, especially when getting fitter in particular with aerobic exercises like cycling, plus works out average speed, carbs burnt etc... I think its quite cool, its a good way to track your progress

Torque app on android is brilliant, I now use my tablet as a OBD fault finder and clearer for a long time. The gauges are also useful to read boost if a MAP is present or use the MAF to predict it etc... But since phones are now replacing satnav devices, even tomtom have realised this in there sales! What you can do is use the mobile as your GPS system and the smart watch can be mounted and display a single gauge such as boost which I think is :cool: as it doesn't need a strap on, it can be removed and have a different mount on.

The reason for poor battery life is the Bluetooth it consumes huge amount of energy, but Bluetooth 4.0 is now appearing that is a lot more efficient, which will be used on future devices.

Not sure on the headphone thing, maybe when cycling, phones in backpack and your streaming it to your watch whilst its transmitting your fitness data. Also read that some units use the headphone jack as a charger input.

All in all I have sold it to myself, they are building newer watches that will be small light android OS, and be able have a sim card. As opposed to being dependent on a separate android device like a tablet or phone. This I cannot see the point of, as the screens to small. ATM it cannot stream video either, but with a standalone OS it will be able too, again no point for this in my eyes as the screens too small.

Now back on topic, do I get one? And your views?

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2012, 18:31 »
i want a watch, but i hate things around my wrist! just for show tbh  :undecided:

phones are for the time for me  :rolleyes:

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2012, 21:54 »
Got my Sony smartwitch yesterday for £75 of Amazon.

Got to say first impressions are quite good, build of the device is very good, the clip and the charging mechanism could of been better. I love the idea they give you a mount so you can have metal watch links or a leather strap should you wish to customise it more.

Battery life is not to bad about what has been stated 24-40 hours considering its a bluetooth device. Takes a while to sync when phone is restarted or watch is turned off to on. But overall I'm impressed with it so far.

Be interesting to see what the next gen watch's will pull out the hat especially as Bluetooth 4.0 becomes more and more mainstream (believe s3 has 4.0), battery will be the biggest improvement with this. Hope more and more apps will be built soon.

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

Offline Bred S

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2013, 20:32 »
"i know samsung watch, really funny stuff, dont know why someone would invent it and i was really upset when the battery was dying so quickly. I had to buy a new one of course. I found online shop and bought my seiko http://www.authenticwatchstore.com/seiko-snq007-watch-grand-mens-black-dial.html
Really love it! So easy to use and it has a smart design."

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2013, 14:17 »
i want a watch, but i hate things around my wrist! just for show tbh  :undecided:

phones are for the time for me  :rolleyes:

Pretty much ! I hardly wear my Fossil watch I got for my 30th from my sister.

I can see a use for them if you're out running or exercising, trying to control your phone on your arm band while running is a PITA and IF it has the ability to check heart rate etc then its a bit more useful. If I got one, I've most likely only use it for exactly that.
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2013, 17:15 »
All you kidz think how cool a smart watch is.

All us older members think....

:grin:

Offline socarates

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2014, 11:54 »
All you kidz think how cool a smart watch is.

All us older members think....

:grin:

Exactly!!!! :-)