Author Topic: Alloy refurbishment - recommendation West Yorkshire area  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
Can't believe it but kerbed my wheel  :sad: so would be great if anyone has any recommendations for a place I can  get it refurbished in the West Yorks area, Austins so Diamond cut.
Meanwhile...just getting the bucket and lacquer out! (Presume I can use the lacquer in the paint touch up kit?)

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Re: Alloy refurbishment - recommendation West Yorkshire area
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2018, 13:36 »
Can you courier it down to Lepsons?
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2018, 13:48 »
Mmm.. I know everyone seems to rate them but I probably couldn’t even get the wheel off! 😂 not very practical like that. Unless I can last till Christmas and OH home. Seen a place in Birstall called Transalloys, anyone had any experience of them?

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2018, 17:31 »
I had mine refurbished but you could tell it had been done. Personally I'd look at finding a good used one on eBay.

Offline Zan

• Not said much yet
  • MK 7.5 GTi PP>Now MK 8 R-Line 150
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2018, 21:36 »
Like yourself I put a small ding on one of my santiago's and after a lot googling I have just cleaned the ding up and plopped some lacquer on it. 
I've never understood the trend for diamond cut wheels as they can look quite the worse for wear after a few years vs normal painted alloy's plus having to re-machine the alloys for a proper refurbishment means it can only be done a finite amount of times.

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2018, 21:51 »
Mmm... I had a small ding to, caused by a stone I think by the position it was. I cleaned and popped lacquer and was managing to ignore it. However as I was trying to tidy up the kerbed one as best I could I took a look at the ding and stupidly and carelessly rubbed with what I thought was really fine sandpaper in the area. ... and yes, diamond finish is not forgiving. Needless to say that now looks a right mess, not as bad as the kerbed one but will be approaching my car now with eyes averted 😢.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2018, 10:23 »
Are they really that bad? I've kerbed mine a few times but I'm waiting to get them refinished as there are a finite number of times they can be done and nothing attracts a kerb stone to a wheel more effectively than a recently refurbished alloy :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2018, 19:42 »
Mmm...I know what you're saying watts...logistics mean I'll have to leave it a few weeks and that will give me time to see how I feel. Maybe leave them till better weather. Had gone nearly  2 and a half years without anything though, a lot depends on what I decide in the next few months about swapping after 3 years or not.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2018, 20:23 »
If it's on a lease I'd either leave it or just get it touched up.

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2018, 22:59 »

When I messed with it the other day I have taken the shine off some of the flat part of the wheel, the kerbed bit, scrunched bit, is right on the lip. Any ideas how to make the bit I have dulled shiny again?
« Last Edit: 05 December 2018, 01:03 by Pixwix »