Author Topic: Phone mount  (Read 6245 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Phone mount
« on: 29 November 2018, 13:55 »
I can confidently say that despite having had many a company car and driving thousands of miles over the last 19 years or so, I have never purchased a phone mount. A mate of mine must had bought every one ever offered at petrol stations - you know the ones, rattling about on the air vents etc and generally looking sh!te and a pain to use.

In the Golf, an iPhone does fit neatly on top of the drinks holders retractable cover but then it often gets in the way. And then theres the temptation to look down at it. I considered that d-dock thing as I use Apple Play quite often but that seems pricey for what it actually is.

A friend was using one of these in his Range Rover last week and was so impressed I ordered straight away. Was £8 at the weekend due to Black Friday still only £10 :smiley:

https://megamount.co.uk/collections/home-collection/products/locking-mega-mounts-universal-air-vent-magnetic-mount

And it just so happens that it goes fantastically with the GTI red colour scheme  :cool:

So far - Rock solid, doesn't make any noise over the bumps and easy to use. A very thin magnetic plate sits inside your case (or sticks to your phone if you don't have a case) so very simple but effective.

« Last Edit: 29 November 2018, 13:56 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
Re: Phone mount
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2018, 14:51 »
I've been looking for one of these myself. This loooks good and a fair price too :)
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2018, 15:37 »
Just ordered 2, ( thought I'd treat the missus to one as well )
£17.08 from their ebay site.
Thanks for sharing  :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2018, 16:37 »
Glad to be of assistance! I got 2 as well and their delivery was really reasonable, just a £1 and arrived 2 days from ordering.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2018, 17:41 »
Glad to be of assistance! I got 2 as well and their delivery was really reasonable, just a £1 and arrived 2 days from ordering.

Thanks for the heads up Jim, i have just ordered one.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2018, 18:55 »
is the phone secure once fitted?

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2018, 13:00 »
Just ordered one for my GTI and one for the wife’s Passat. £5 shipping to Ireland. Not too bad. Thanks for the share
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2018, 16:44 »
Got mine today and it's a great bit of kit.
Fits my GTI perfectly, but not so good in my wife's Evoque due to the air vents and dash sloping backwards at a stupid angle :rolleyes:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2018, 17:29 »
I have just ordered one too. You should ask them for commission!!  :grin:
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2018, 14:16 »

Thanks for the heads up Jim, i have just ordered one.

See the original post - "So far - Rock solid, doesn't make any noise over the bumps and easy to use. A very thin magnetic plate sits inside your case (or sticks to your phone if you don't have a case) so very simple but effective."
NOW - 330e M Sport