Author Topic: Mk7 GTi (PP) Perfect Car?  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Mk7 GTi (PP) Perfect Car?
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2018, 16:32 »
The GTI PP probably is the perfect car.

Just the right blend of styling, sportiness, class, heritage, quality, performance, ride, steering, handling, economy, general ownership costs, size, tractability...

A very very hard act to beat.

I’m five and a bit years into mk7 ownership and I’m still far from bored of that model. Normally I’d be chewing the steering wheel in boredom by now and yet the mk7 model in general has grown to become like an old friend now rather than “just another Golf range”

I can’t think of anything out there I’d rather have in the price bracket (and quite a bit above that) than a GTI or R.

The A35 comes in as an interesting alternative where the A45 fell short as too expensive and too peaky but I think it still lacks something. Worth checking out though.
An RS3 would be interesting but maybe just from a novelty point of view.

Watts, an R estate? Stay off the vino! It has five doors, lacks a proper gearbox and worst of all it’s not a real Golf!!

Ryan, I had a stage 1 mk1 Fabia vRS many years ago. Another great all rounder. Like the Golf GTI it benefits from a small amount of modifications to make it nigh on perfect but a great out of the box package, especially for the cost of it. Both cars punch well above their weight.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 28 November 2018, 17:25 »
Watts, an R estate? Stay off the vino! It has five doors, lacks a proper gearbox and worst of all it’s not a real Golf!!

I know, I know, but it's a real struggle going away sometimes and I won't have stuff on the back seats (occasional passengers excepted). As I said, I don't want one, but it can be irritating trying to force stuff in.... :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2018, 18:30 »

I know, I know, but it's a real struggle going away sometimes and I won't have stuff on the back seats (occasional passengers excepted). As I said, I don't want one, but it can be irritating trying to force stuff in.... :whistle:
I'd sooner buy a roof box than a Golf estate  :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2018, 19:04 »

I'd sooner buy a roof box than a Golf estate  :smiley:

I'm just going to have to cut back on the non-essentials for a week away then. So, one pair of pants, one pair of socks... :whistle: :sick: :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2018, 14:28 »
Might get a few funny looks with this but for me I massively regret letting my MK1 Fabia vRS go.

That was a brilliant car. Mega reliable, didn't have a single issue with it (unlike the Golf) in 8 years of ownership, fast enough for the roads (stage 1), 55mpg without even trying.

I always wanted a Golf GTi since I was a kid, my mates dad had a MK4 V6 and I was hooked. Wasn't a fan of the MK5, the MK6 has grown on me. But the MK7 for me is the best looking Golf they've done since the original (nothing will ever beat a MK1) so I had to get one.

I plan on keeping my GTi PP for a good few years, I eventually would like to go stage 1, possibly stage 2 but I'm not sure about changing the exhaust as I think the stock exhaust is perfect.

I'd like to go out in a stage 1/stage 2 car if anyone is local? York/Leeds/Harrogate or Barnsley/Sheffield.

Very similar here in many respects...  Did have a PD130 Ibiza (@192bhp, no not on the standard turbo  :laugh:), GTI PP, Yorkshire... :whistle:
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2018, 10:31 »
There used to be a lad who knocked about with us in our little car meets with a very quick Ibiza, wasn't you by any chance was it.

Sheffield/Killamarsh area. Once did a rolling road day in Chesterfield, had a few drives out towards Lincoln etc?

Offline aksimmo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 30 November 2018, 17:39 »
Im new to VW but the Gti 7 is my perfect car ! I tried an R but the GTi fully loaded won ove rthe deal over a basic R

Best car ive ever had !

Ash

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2018, 21:10 »
The golf GTI is a fantastic car but it left me a bit cold, almost like it had no character. I now have an Abarth 595 which is so much worse than the golf in so many ways but I love it much more.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2018, 22:27 »
I think that is a fair comment about the GTi, I also run more extreme and focussed cars and the Golf is my sensible, sometimes daily option.
If I was only running a GTi, I am not sure the sensible ownership proposition would outway the need for something with a bit more excitement.

With the above criteria, I am not sure what exactly is the "perfect" car?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 01 December 2018, 07:52 »
With the above criteria, I am not sure what exactly is the "perfect" car?

I think James May summed it up... its a People's Car. Its a car that is suitable for most people and that's an accolade none of the others have ever managed to achieve and in that respect its a unique design achievement.

I've always said, its not amazing - amazing is some sort of million pound supercar with the highest racebreed tech. No, this is a car that is useful and with enough stuff to be fun if fun is what you want. Its not a one trick pony.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC