Author Topic: Tyres! Specifically winter ones...  (Read 5461 times)

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Re: Tyres! Specifically winter ones...
« Reply #20 on: 25 November 2018, 19:59 »
Well in a slightly dramatic update to this thread, I've just had the girlfriend call to say she's driven into a kerb and burst both NS tyres. The car's been recovered to the nearest Kwikfit (not my choice, obviously) and I'll have to go tomorrow and make a decision on what tyres to get. Doesn't look like they stock A005's or Cross Climate's though so will likely need to spend all day ringing around tryng to find someone with them in stock who will deliver them to Kwik Fit. Fun times.
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 25 November 2018, 20:08 »
Well in a slightly dramatic update to this thread, I've just had the girlfriend call to say she's driven into a kerb and burst both NS tyres. The car's been recovered to the nearest Kwikfit (not my choice, obviously) and I'll have to go tomorrow and make a decision on what tyres to get. Doesn't look like they stock A005's or Cross Climate's though so will likely need to spend all day ringing around tryng to find someone with them in stock who will deliver them to Kwik Fit. Fun times.

I was going to say that's a blow... Not good though, but do you really need winters in Maidenhead?

On a totally seperate note, and pictures of the Amazon? Always rather fancied one, how are you getting on with it, good fun?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 25 November 2018, 20:49 »
Top punnage  :smiley:

Well, after reading lots of reviews and spending hours on tyrereviews.co.uk I came to the conclusion that full winters are probably overkill for down here in the south. We had snow last year but it's not exactly Scotland - really I want a tyre that will cope with the cold temperatures and rain that we get, then I'll swap over to a strictly summer tyre in 5 or 6 months time. The Michelin Cross-climates and the Bridgestone A005's get good reviews and seem like they would do the job well with the bonus that they'd work if we did get a flurry of snow like earlier this year.

Greig
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 25 November 2018, 20:54 »
The Amazon is good thanks -well, apart from the usual classic car problems and needing constant tinkering - oh and the overdrive stopped working recently...but otherwise lots of fun! She's a 1969 two-door coupe, 2.0l, twin su-carbs, fast road cam, light head work, lowered...will dig out some pics for you...

1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 25 November 2018, 21:08 »
The Amazon is good thanks -well, apart from the usual classic car problems and needing constant tinkering - oh and the overdrive stopped working recently...but otherwise lots of fun! She's a 1969 two-door coupe, 2.0l, twin su-carbs, fast road cam, light head work, lowered...will dig out some pics for you...

Sounds great, looking forward to the pictures :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 02 December 2018, 20:08 »

« Last Edit: 02 December 2018, 20:24 by MrJollygood »
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 02 December 2018, 20:26 »
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 02 December 2018, 20:32 »
Nice one! Looks like lots of fun! :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Mikea

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 02 December 2018, 20:43 »
I have just fitted Kleber Krisalp HP3 225/45 R17 on Audi alloys to my Clubsport Ed40.

again I spent hours and hours looking at reviews and deciding on one tyre to change my mind but am happy with the Kleber.
Sold 2021 : 2016 5dr GTi Clubsport Edition 40 DSG - No. 403
Tornado Red, Dynamic Chassis Control, Rear View Camera and 19" Brescia Alloys

Up! Gti Red 5 door, park and cruise, city emergency pack, climate control and 5 year warranty

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 02 December 2018, 20:56 »
Nice one! Looks like lots of fun! :smiley:

Thanks Watts! Unfortunately she might be for sale in the New Year... :(

(I realise I've completely hijacked my own thread here...)

To bring things slightly back on topic - I've delayed my winter tyre choice and replaced the two flats with Michelin Asy 3's (what was on there before) until I can pick up a spare set of wheels - will have a look at the Klebers.

1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S