Author Topic: New Tyres  (Read 4382 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: New Tyres
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2018, 13:35 »
Just been reading a couple of internet articles where they say you shouldn't rotate back to front any more. Hard to tell if it's just the tyre manufacturers or tyre places saying this though.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2018, 14:02 »
I’m going to state the obvious but ensure your price comparisons are fitted or not fitted.
I found Costco cheaper than Blackcircles until I realised Costco did not include fitting.
Also google BS promo codes. Sometimes will get a further 10pc off. I did in Jan 18.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2018, 14:11 »
Yeah the price I've seen is fully fitted at Costco. Works out at £103 per tyre less 20 quid so 83 a tyre fully fitted.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2018, 14:28 »
Just been reading a couple of internet articles where they say you shouldn't rotate back to front any more. Hard to tell if it's just the tyre manufacturers or tyre places saying this though.

Not sure but I've been doing it for years including on my GTI and I'm still here to tell the tale! 5-6mm on the fronts is too much to waste in my opinion, 3mm is the least I'd go to but is well above legal. You might get nearly a year out of them depending on your use.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2018, 14:39 »
Cheers Watts. Now to buy a trolley jack  :grin: :grin:

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #15 on: 22 September 2018, 15:15 »
Just been reading a couple of internet articles where they say you shouldn't rotate back to front any more.
Some manufacturers recommend fitting new tyres to the rear of a car. The theory being that understeer is easier to control than oversteer.

The thing is - the majority of your braking is done by your front tyres. On a front wheel drive, better tyres on the front result in better grip for acceleration too.

My preference has always been to have the best tyres on the front.

I have enjoyed the grip from my PS4 tyres. However, I do find them noisy. Though probably about the same as the Bridgestones.

The fronts will need replaced soon. I estimate they will have done 14k.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2018, 15:24 »
Cheers Watts. Now to buy a trolley jack  :grin: :grin:

I just use the supplied jack and pop the spare on as I go round, works just fine but certainly a trolley jack would be quicker, easier and involve less bloodshed from the knuckles :laugh:

And I agree with Daz Auto. You sound like a sensible driver so I really can't see you having any bother.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2018, 15:49 »
Was just thinking the same method Watts 👍.

Daz not a lot of people mention the noise from ps4's so something to consider, cheers.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #18 on: 22 September 2018, 20:43 »
Daz not a lot of people mention the noise from ps4's so something to consider, cheers.

I'm sure I read a review that had noise as a negative, but can't find it now.

I was reading the audisport.net forum earlier. They are also discussing this tyre offer. Here is what one person said - "Just swapped my old PS4 tyres for goodyear f1 assy 3 , I always thought I had a wheel bearing gone but now realise it was the old PS4 tyres."

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2018, 04:32 »
Agree the PS4 is not the quietest tyre.  I swapped new S001 for new PS4 (with no alignment adjustment) and found the Michelins not quite as noisy as the Bridgestones.  PS4 is similar in noise volume to Conti Sport Contact 5, but a higher pitch. Both were quieter than the S001.  But all these are performance tyres, so by their nature will be noisier than touring tyres.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.