Author Topic: GTI mk 7 under preforming  (Read 5192 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: GTI mk 7 under preforming
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2018, 21:04 »
If you have an accident and the insurance company find out then your policy will be null and void.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 23 September 2018, 21:17 »
Hypothetically - what are the possible ramifications of fitting a pedal box without informing your insurance company?

For modifications in general, there  are a number of possible ramifications if individuals fail to inform their insurer of modifications;
    non disclosure of modifications is a failure to comply with the insurance policy terms and conditions. There will almost certainly be a requirement in all insurance companies car insurance policies to notify any modifications to the insurance company, so failure to do this could invalidate the policy, the policyholder effectively uninsured, and driving without insurance is a criminal offence.
    if the insurer isn’t informed of modifications, they won’t have the opportunity to assess the revised risk and the premium they quote will be for a ‘standard’ unmodified car. Not declaring modifications - especially if they would warrant an additional premium charge - is committing insurance fraud, which is a criminal offence. Individuals identified as committing insurance fraud will have their details added to the Insurance Fraud Register (IFR); an industry-wide database accessible by insurers. Being on the IFR could affect an individual’s ability to get insurance cover in future, or get cover at an affordable premium.
    in the event of a claim, if there are undeclared modifications;
    a) the insurer could void the insurance cover, especially if the modification was considered to be a contributory factor to the claim. If a person’s policy is voided, their insurer would still have to pay compensation for any third parties injured in an accident, but they could take action to recover any such payments from their policyholder with the modified car with the undeclared modifications which could be very costly!
    b) the insurer could deal with the claim but impose a higher penal excess
    c) the insurer could deal with the claim but collect any back premium for past years insurance cover that they would have charged to cover the increased risk represented by the modifications
So, although a pedal box doesn’t increase bhp - it removes the initial dead throttle response - it is a modification and should be declared. It is just not worth taking the risk of not declaring the fitment of a pedal box - or any other modifications for that matter. You could end up uninsured and have a criminal record, and have significant issues getting affordable insurance in future.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 23 September 2018, 21:25 »
Hypothetically - what are the possible ramifications of fitting a pedal box without informing your insurance company?

If you rear end someone or have a low cost accident you'll probably be fine. If you kill a family of 6 and a few peds and it's your fault they'll probably try and find any way to get out of paying and will find your undeclared box and you'll be f**ked.

You could probably risk it and be fine though, yolo and all that.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 24 September 2018, 03:31 »
FWIW, my insurance company covered the pedal box.  I had face to face discussions with them, rather than rely on their call centre staff.  I showed them the PB+ instructions and documentation and they agreed as it isn't a performance modification it is fine. 

But I've heard some companies won't cover a pedal box.  So best to check first.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.