Author Topic: GTI Mk8 - Would you wait?  (Read 16540 times)

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
GTI Mk8 - Would you wait?
« on: 23 August 2018, 10:08 »
Hello, I was set to get a nearly new or new GTI 7.5 early next year giving me time to save a bit of cash.
However with the new Mk8 on the horizon I tempted to wait and get that. I generally keep a car for 5-10 years and can't help thinking I'd regret getting the "old" model when the new one is released.
It does mean I would have to buy new and a pay a premium for the new model. I'm expecting big things from the Mk8 though with a big performance boost, a heavily revamped interior and more tech.
Does anyone know of a release date for the GTI Mk8? I don't think we'll see the first new non-performance Golfs on people's driveways till the end of next year so it could be 2 years away still for the GTI.

Would you buy now if you plan to keep the car or wait for Mk8?

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Re: GTI Mk8 - Would you wait?
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2018, 10:14 »
Snap! I have exactly the same dilemma.
I change every to years..... so 3/19 is on the cards especially if there are good new bargains to be had.
But will I also regret my decision if Mk8 GTI appears early and starts getting discounted?
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2018, 10:15 »
Why would you want to wait two years for a new car? Why not break with tradition, get yourself a pre reg/ex demo now thereby avoiding a fair bit of the initial depreciation and enjoy yourself. Then when the MK8 appears you can then decide what you want to do. You might not like it! Or better still, get yourself in a CS, they seem to be holding their value well, might ease the depreciation hit.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2018, 10:38 »
Why would you want to wait two years for a new car? Why not break with tradition, get yourself a pre reg/ex demo now thereby avoiding a fair bit of the initial depreciation and enjoy yourself. Then when the MK8 appears you can then decide what you want to do. You might not like it! Or better still, get yourself in a CS, they seem to be holding their value well, might ease the depreciation hit.

Good advice  :smiley:

Never really understood the 'shall I wait 2 years for a new car' question. No-one can answer that apart the person asking.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2018, 10:41 »
So many things to consider. I've never spent more than £5K on a car before so this is a big purchase and big decision for me.
I'll be buying on Finance so could get a nearly new 7.5 on PCP over 2 or 3 years then swap it for a nearly new Mk8 when the balloon payment is due.
I'll be 50 in 2020 and think I would like to own a brand new car at least once in my life. I could wait for the Mk8 which would allow me to save up a lot more so I have 50% of the purchase price as a deposit. Could go for HP then.

As an aside, I'm getting some great offers on a new 7.5 from Carwow. Cheaper prices than I'm seeing for a used on autotrader. £26.5k for a new GTI PP with a couple of options.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2018, 10:52 »
So many things to consider. I've never spent more than £5K on a car before so this is a big purchase and big decision for me.
I'll be buying on Finance so could get a nearly new 7.5 on PCP over 2 or 3 years then swap it for a nearly new Mk8 when the balloon payment is due.
I'll be 50 in 2020 and think I would like to own a brand new car at least once in my life. I could wait for the Mk8 which would allow me to save up a lot more so I have 50% of the purchase price as a deposit. Could go for HP then.

As an aside, I'm getting some great offers on a new 7.5 from Carwow. Cheaper prices than I'm seeing for a used on autotrader. £26.5k for a new GTI PP with a couple of options.

Do it. I can't say you definitely won't regret it but I doubt it. Try Drive the Deal too. I can't let my hair down as I was the model for this - :nerd: (apart from the smile) but you can! (Probably?) :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2018, 11:09 »
Cheers, I'll check out drive the deal  :smiley:

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2018, 11:20 »
I was thinking of waiting for the Mk8 as am currently looking at some stock 7.5s but difficult to find the right spec. As you say though, could be nearly 2 years to get hands on a Mk8. Also, I don't expect the 8 will have a CD player.......

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2018, 12:32 »
It's one thing to wait 6 months or so, different things altogether to wait 2 years.

None of us even know what the Mk8 will look like, or much else about it other than it will be Golf-like. If you like the Mk7.5, may as well get that now, then see how you feel about that when you see it. I'd expect we'll start seeing images of the non-performance models towards the back end of next year.
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2018, 12:53 »
I’d expect we'll start seeing images of the non-performance models towards the back end of next year.

Sooner than that. The first mk8 Golfs are due to be built June next year.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl