Author Topic: Non Golf GTI problem..But could be  (Read 1518 times)

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
Non Golf GTI problem..But could be
« on: 19 July 2018, 16:09 »
Can someone help? I have a 2013 Beetle Cabrio.( I also own a MK7 Golf GTi P/P  just to give me some credence here) and have a problem with my power door mirrors. Select the mirrors to close, works fine, both close. When I select to open, only the passenger side opens. Drivers side stays closed. No matter how I select the mirrors to work after this the drivers side will not open. I now have to manually open the mirror to use ( pushing against the mechanism ) If I then select the close function the passenger side closes fine but there is an audible 'crack' sound from the drivers door mirror but nothing happens. When the drivers door mirror is in this 'forced open' position it is not rigid, so much so when driving along you can see  movement in the housing.
 The question i'm asking, is there a reset procedure for these mirrors as there is for the windows? If so, can it be done through an opening and closing procedure? Or is it a very expensive replacement mirror housing required.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Non Golf GTI problem..But could be
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2018, 18:33 »
Take the cover off and check where the mirror pivots. On the GTI it is a metal part and on mine part of the metal casing snapped off and it did feel a bit loose. Mine broke because I caught it whilst reversing, perhaps someone has hit yours just enough to snap it but without leaving the evidence. If that is the case, with mine it mean't a new housing (minus the glass and cover) fitted for £420. If you are feeling handy, buy a salvaged one and fit it yourself, might get away with £130ish (guesstimate) and you can use the existing cover.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.