Author Topic: My very brief(ish) MK7.5 review (from the point of view of a diesel owner)  (Read 8426 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
I know these things have been done before, but I thought I'd do this from the perspective of a 12 year diesel owner and my 3rd MK7 Golf.

As mentioned above, this is my 3rd MK7 with the previous 2 being a 2013 GTD DSG and a 2016 GTD DSG. Before that it was a 140PS DSG Scirocco and a MK5 Golf GT TDi (manual). In total I'd had diesel's for 12 years (the Golf was my first).

Now first things first, you would think that after having 3 near identical cars, I would be sick of the Golf by now, but each one I've owned keeps getting better and better, and I certainly haven't tired of it yet. I think the interior especially is very classy and exceptionally well laid out.

Well, my current MK7 is a GTI 230PS DSG which I picked up on May 3rd. It got off to a bit of a rocky start when on collection there was a deep scratch on the wing, but it was all sorted to my satisfaction and is now a distant memory. Now interestingly, when I ordered the GTI, I had never test driven one, and still hadn't up to the day I collected it. Based on on-line reviews and members on here I pretty much knew what I was going to be getting. The big question for me at ordering time was PP or no PP ? I eventually decided on no PP, as whilst the upgraded brakes look very cool under the alloys, for me the £1k asking price could be better spent on luxury toys as out and out performance was never my goal (so the extra power and LSD would be a bit wasted on me). I probably drive the GTI very conservatively 95% of the time, with just 5% reserved for play time or when I'm in a real hurry, such are my congested journeys to and from work.

So what were my initial feelings on at last going back to petrol. Well first was just how whisper quiet and smooth it was. Now the GTD's were by no means raucous (for a diesel lump they were very refined), but the GTI when plodding along is just so quiet and serene. I must admit that one thing did bring a huge smile to my face. Also, as I went for the Art Velours Interior (Alcantera / pleather), it really does lift the interior of the car and makes it feel really special, and is a nice change from 5 years of plaid cloth (which were still very nice). So what about the power, well to be honest this was the one area where I was initially disappointed.

I know the car is new and still quite tight (to date only 730 miles on it), but it didn't feel anywhere as fast as the GTD. The GTD  just gave you that typical turbo diesel huge shove in the back when you accelerated, something the GTI didn't (doesn't). That is of course until you look at the speedo, and realise you are going a far bit quicker than you thought. I guess it's just me seeing the difference between the way a diesel engine rides it's torque curve and a petrol motor. Don't get me wrong, when pushed hard the GTI flies, but it just doesn't "feel" as fast as the GTD if you know what I mean - less dramatic.

Next was fuel consumption. Now to be fair I'm only on my 2nd full tank, but I was preparing myself to be a little shocked coming from a diesel, but TBH, I've been (so far) pleasantly surprised. My first tank netted me 38mpg (calculated - dash reading was 38.5) and my current tank (150 miles in) is showing so far a similar figure. Bearing in mind my GTD in the summer used to average around 46-47, it's not as big a hit as I imagined, although on shorter journeys, it's still a little disconcerting seeing the GTI struggle to even get to 25-30mpg, when the GTD would return 35-40mpg easily over the same shorter journeys. But I guess my memory of diesel fuel economy will dim as the miles go on. However a couple of times now on my way home from work I've seen both 45.2 and 48.8mpg returned (and that was only a 12 mile journey), so on a longer run down to my sister in laws (approx 130 miles each way) I fully expect the GTI to return mid to high forties when driving the same way I did the GTD's (which on the same journeys, would "only" return around 54-58mpg). Pretty good for 230ps and DSG ?

I also didn't think I would love the active info display as much as I do, but really wish there was a way to tweak it to show red needles instead of the standard white ones, as some of them (namely the fuel needle can be quite hard to reach). I've done a VCDS mod to show another skin that gives me  the "classic" view, (just the clocks with no additional information). The added benefit of this that the minor speed markings are actually shown with figures not just tick marks, and the Fuel and temperature areas are slightly bigger and give a little better view of the needles. Shame it can't be modified more.

Also, this is the 1st MK7 where I didn't spec the Pro-Nav as I did in the previous cars. I went back and forth over this one, and decided in the end it was just too expensive and to be honest, now I've used it for  month or so, I'm glad i did, especially now that google street view and google earth maps have been removed from the new model. I don't doubt for one minute the Pro Nav is better in many ways, but the standard Nav has really impressed me, and TBH, when I had the loaner "R" for a couple of weeks (fitted with the Nav Pro), I started to become a little annoying at the lack of proper buttons and having to hit the menu button to make another "app" selection. About the only things I really miss from the Pro Nav is the ability to play movies (when I'm waiting for the wife at the train station), and having the second SD card slot available for said movies or more music, but I think I can live without them.

I have to say as well the Android Auto / Apple Car Play implementation in the new systems is so much faster than on the MIB I and II models, and my AA loads up within seconds of a restart, and having the dedicated "APP" button to go straight to it is a very welcome addition.

This is also my first Golf with the full suite of safety options. So active lane assist, side assist (blind spot), rear assist, emergency assist, front and pedestrian assist and traffic sign recognition. All work great so far and the traffic sign assist really is a great feature and almost instantly picks up temporary speed signs (e.g. on the motorway etc.). The car is also equipped with the full dynamic light assist for the LED headlights (so auto mask's on coming traffic when on high beam), but as I've not really driven the car at night yet, I guess testing of that function will have to wait for winter.

So, all in all what do I think. Bit of a looker still, quiet, very refined, very safe, quick (when pushed), pretty economical for a 230ps petrol engine, but feels just a little "unexciting" when driven normally (the exhaust has started making some lovely DSG up-shift farts when pushing on though). recommended...... Yes very !

Thanks for reading.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Thanks for the thoughts - interesting reading.

Your comment about the engine feeling down on power made me wonder if these new GTI petrol engines are either a.)  built to unusually tight tolerances; or b.) somehow knobbled by software during the early stages of their life - possibly for long term reliability purposes?  I have just this week taken delivery of my new GTI and am surprised that at this early stage (~200kms) it feels little, if any, more potent than the 2017 1.4 150bhp I traded.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2018, 09:13 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
If its nobbled at all then its probably due to attempts at emissions control.

When the Mk7.5 GTD came out, the CO2 figures were quite a bit higher than the 2014 Mk7 GTD I had. You could argue "but that's because of dieselgate" but I don't think it is.

They have definitely done something, quite what I don't know.

Anyway, with what Sooty is saying, I'd actually be surprised if there truly was much performance difference between a 184ps oil burner and a 230ps petrol. Sure, on paper its more powerful, but the power comes in with a whooooosh with the oil burner.

Look at the graphs:

184ps oil burner (ok, its a Skoda, but its the same thing):

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/ABYSS69/media/cGF0aDpBQllTUzY5MDEwL3NoYXJrX3pwc2E5ZGE3NTNkLmpwZw==/?ref=

230ps petrol thing:

http://millteksport.com/media.file.cfm?fileid=1257

Quite different characteristics and I suggest that probably with your car being new you aren't pushing it hard enough to find the whoosh that is there, just higher up.

I know one of my colleagues has a GTI PP DSG - its not slow... I've not driven it but as a passenger it seems bloody quick, but its quite a different dynamic.

All that being said, I actually think the oil burner is probably more useful on real road conditions... on a track, on paper.... sure petrol all the way.

Its just a shame that people have totally misunderstood environmental issues with Euro6 oil burners...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
yeah the excitement is definitely higher up the rev band.

I've come from 2 diesels, a Seat Leon FR 150, and before that a Scirocco GT 170, and I agree about the smoothness of the GTI in comparison to a diesel, and of course it doesn't sound like a Taxi :)

2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Great little review as ever Andrew.

The power delivery, power band and gearing all make a difference to the feel of how the car drives.
The TDI’s definitely get better after a few miles.
There has always been speculation about the ‘running in map’  and I do think there’s something in it.
There’s a big current thread over on VWROC but I’ve not read any of it yet.

Having had all four Performance mk7’s but no FL experience other than a 20 minute crawl
Around of a friend’s company car FL GTI non PP.

I could write volumes on my perceptions of the different models which would be a painful and pointless exercise for both me and anyone unfortunate enough to read it  :grin:
But my overriding memories of comparing the MK7 230PS PP to my GTD (and more specifically a couple hire GTDs I drove when I had my PP) were the smoothness of how the GTI revved making the power delivery seem very flat and how despite the lower (in number) peak torque figure of the GTI was how much more flexible it was (manual gearbox) with peak torque at little more than tickover lasting right the way through the Rev range. The 230PS GTI engine was great on long motorway steep hills too, just a gentle prod of the right toe would see it surge forward even on a really harsh incline in top gear where the GRD would suddenly feel reluctant belying the big torque figure.
I can see why the DSG in auto (non S) mode would make it feel slower than the GTD.
However due to the gearing and keenness to rev it’s actually quite a brisk mover and in the manual gearbox version it likes to be driven like a Diesel.
The R engine (also in the Clubsport) feels more typically petrol like as there’s a definite torque void below around 2500rpm in certain types of driving despite peak torque being delivered around 1800.

My initial over riding memory of the early days of my mk7 GTI ownership in 2013 was how flat the power delivery felt until I fitted a pedalbox a few hundred miles in, at which point the car came alive.

I’m not a big fan of the digital dials in the FL car.
Where I’m more than happy to move with the tech when there’s a definite improvement, I don’t feel the info display on the FL mk7’s is a great design.
As said, the single colour of white needle against white ‘dial’ removes any character and sportiness from the gauges. Being digital it would have been so easy for VW to have added in some discretely sporty graphics to the performance models.
The dials in the mk7 GTI/GTD (pre FL) were no objects of beauty unlike the R dials but but they were clean, functional and sharp.
Each generation (R aside until it went digital) seems to have gone back a degree since the mk5 GTI where the main dials are concerned.

My son has the latest audio unit in his MQB Ibiza FR and it seems very good compared to my MIB II
The only drawback is the constant need to wipe the screen with a microfibre.
The audio units are one area where tech seems to move very quickly year on year.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
Great review.  I do know what you mean about the power delivery.  The Golf seems to deliver it in such a refined way that you do get a shock when you look at the speedo.  My last car was a BMW 335i and that had the woosh, but was hobbled by a very slow automatic gearbox.  Thats another thing that impresses me, the DSG box in the golf is really sharp.

I love the Active Info Display, its one of my favourite aspects of the car.  I do think its a missed opportunity though.  Classic case of a car manufacturer giving you a really cool feature, but only using 10% of its potential.  There is no reason why they couldn't have an iPhone / android app that let you tweak your own layouts and upload them to the car.

I also really like the adaptive cruise control.  I had the whole family in the car and used it to cruise around a bunch of traffic heavy B roads.  It never missed a beat.  I literally just steered.  It even dealt with you coming to a complete standstill no problem.  My wife actually preferred the car handling all the breaking and accelerating rather than me :)
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline John F

• Not said much yet
Interesting comment from Splashalot with respect to 1.4 150 engine. My current Audi A4 has that engine with a manual gearbox.

My new GTI PP DSG is due for delivery within the next couple of weeks (hoping to get a delivery date confirmed tomorrow from the dealer). I guess I will be shocked if it feels little or no more powerful than my A4  :cry:

I will post here again once I have my hands on the car. This will be the first car I have owned with more than 200ps!

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
I love the active info display too..

And it's worth remembering that for £599 you can have a Revo remap which gives 330ps ! And I bet it will be a much better map than vw's with all their messing around with emmisions etc..
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Interesting comment from Splashalot with respect to 1.4 150 engine. My current Audi A4 has that engine with a manual gearbox.

My new GTI PP DSG is due for delivery within the next couple of weeks (hoping to get a delivery date confirmed tomorrow from the dealer). I guess I will be shocked if it feels little or no more powerful than my A4  :cry:

I will post here again once I have my hands on the car. This will be the first car I have owned with more than 200ps!

The GTI will feel a lot more powerful than a 150PS hefty saloon car, it’s just the way all (VW group) engines are mapped from the factory to feel a bit flat unless you’re really pushing on.
A pedalbox transforms this but shouldn’t be the necessary purchase it is.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict

The GTI will feel a lot more powerful than a 150PS hefty saloon car, it’s just the way all (VW group) engines are mapped from the factory to feel a bit flat unless you’re really pushing on.
A pedalbox transforms this but shouldn’t be the necessary purchase it is.

The key word here is pedalbox! Utterly transforms the car and makes every journey (except possibly one to the out-laws :whistle:) exciting and fun, exactly what the GTI should be.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.