Author Topic: hill start with dsg  (Read 3340 times)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
hill start with dsg
« on: 18 February 2018, 10:27 »
How does one do a hill start with a dsg box on the gti7.5pp Golf, please?

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
Re: hill start with dsg
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2018, 10:37 »
Hi Nigel, I would use AutoHold (the button is next to the handbrake, just make sure the orange light is on). That will hold you in place until you tap the gas pedal and then it will move you forwards up the hill.
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2018, 10:38 »
It could not be simpler.
Auto hold will hold the car until you wish to move off whether you’re on an incline or not. Put it into D, tap throttle and away you go.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2018, 10:45 »
I have to wait to join a main road from a minor road that is on a hill. So I need to use AutoHold each time I move forward? Or can I hold the car on the footbrake and move to the accelerator without the danger of the car moving backwards?

Sorry about he basic question. I am used to a standard auto box.

Offline Mustabuster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2018, 10:56 »
Yes you can just move your foot fro the footbrake to the accelerator without worrying about any rollback. The auto hold takes care of that for you. I leave it in auto hold all the time.

In my previous Golf, I had a DSG but a manual handbrake. I only ever needed to use the manual handbrake on steep hills to prevent rollback. An auto will naturally try and pull forwards anyway as soon as you lift off the footbrake (without auto hold).
Jan '17: Golf mk7 GTI PP
5 dr, DSG, Carbon Grey, 19" Santiago wheels.

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2018, 10:58 »
Aha, I had missed the point that you should have AutoHold on all the time even when you are driving. It's not like a handbrake.

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2018, 11:09 »
There are two switches, one is auto-hold, one is the handbrake. If you turn the auto-hold ON it will activate and de-activate the handbrake for you. It takes a while to get comfortable with the auto-hold but it really works well.

If you don't want to use auto-hold (and some people don't like it), it's perfectly OK to press the handbrake switch to hold the car and then simply accelerate away - the handbrake will automatically release. However you will have to re-apply it if you are simply creeping up to a junction and need to stop again.

I know it may seem silly, but try reading the manual on this subject. :grin:

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2018, 11:40 »
Thanks for that.

Yes, I have downloaded the manual. I think it is a bit shorter than War and Peace, but not much.

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2018, 11:59 »
Thanks for that.

Yes, I have downloaded the manual. I think it is a bit shorter than War and Peace, but not much.

i find it easier using the online manual as it's easier and a lot quicker :)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2018, 13:50 »
do you have the web link (url or address) please?

I have only managed to find a pdf from a reg number that I copied from a car in a sales catalogue.