Author Topic: Running in advice Mk 7.5 GTI 230 manual  (Read 4191 times)

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
Running in advice Mk 7.5 GTI 230 manual
« on: 14 February 2018, 18:40 »
Picked up my new TR Mk 7.5 GTI 230 5dr manual today.  Can anyone confirm best running in advice pls?  I've never had a brand new car before and it feels very tight (still only 100 miles on the clock).  Is it a case of easy does it for first 1k miles then gradually extend (once engine fully warm obviously)?

Offline Alun

• Not said much yet
Re: Running in advice Mk 7.5 GTI 230 manual
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2018, 18:55 »
Picked up my new TR Mk 7.5 GTI 230 5dr manual today.  Can anyone confirm best running in advice pls?  I've never had a brand new car before and it feels very tight (still only 100 miles on the clock).  Is it a case of easy does it for first 1k miles then gradually extend (once engine fully warm obviously)?

I don't know official  running in period, I'm a firm believer of 1,000 miles approximately. My GTI PP DSG has covered 960 miles and it is much less tight now,  it's awesome to be honest. Will really be putting it through its paces very soon. Enjoy your car. 

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2018, 21:07 »

There is advice in the manual.  Don't floor it and keep below 2/3 maximum revs for first 1000Km (620 miles) then can gradually increase.  Just drive it normally and keep it below 4400rpm for 600 or so miles.  I picked up my R yesterday and am trying to follow this.  The main thing is to have a varied driving pattern during the running in period so the whole drivetrain beds in under varying load conditions.  Check the oil level every week as a new motor can use a bit whilst running in.  Some "experts" recommend the Italian tune up method but I prefer to go with what the manufacturer recommends.
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2018, 08:05 »
I was actually looking at the online manual for something yesterday and its now the first 1500km which converts to 932 miles!

One thing I've been told with new engines is to try and not labour the engine, so if you're going up an incline then maybe drop it down a gear instead of letting the revs bog down.  I think the other is no high revs/thrashing.

Like others have said the main thing is varied driving, although others sometimes prefer to thrash it from day one Italian style.

Years ago people used to do an oil and filter change after the first 1000 miles, does that still happen anymore?

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2018, 08:12 »
Definitely be gentle and more importantly vary engine speeds once the oil is hot. Or you could completely ignore the manufacturer recommendations, suggest that cars don’t need running in at all (in this age) and then wonder why your car uses 1L oil every 10 miles  :grin:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2018, 08:15 »
Revs and speed won't do any harm, it's the load you put the engine under to reach those revs and speeds that could put it under strain.

Being too soft on it can often lead to higher oil consumption in later life.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Darlo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2018, 08:43 »
Not a massive believer in running in engines to be honest. Done it as per the advice as well as giving it the beans from day one.... never had a problem either way. Old wives tale perhaps but heard engines run in hard from day one are often better?!

I won’t be paying much attention to the running in of my R.

But remember it’s not just the engine your running in, it’s also the brakes and tyres.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2018, 09:12 »

But remember it’s not just the engine your running in, it’s also the brakes and tyres.

^This.

Let the engine oil get up to normal operating temperature and just drive normally. If you’ve a manual gearbox, don’t use the gear change indicator as it’ll encourage you to change gear early so you may end up labouring the engine for being in too high a gear for the speed you’re travelling at.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2018, 09:15 »
Mine was an ex-demo with 1500 or so miles when I picked it up. Judging by the way I've seen them being demonstrated I doubt much heed was taken of any running in guidance. But, I topped up with a little bit oil in the first year and none since. Engine feels good and strong too.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2018, 14:59 »
Revs won’t hurt it.  Make sure it warms up and warms down properly and avid labouring the engine or excessive engine braking.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver