Author Topic: Discover Pro files limit?  (Read 4051 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: Discover Pro files limit?
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2017, 19:38 »
I meant to say, even with the error message (which suggests the database has hit the max), if you just use "folder view" (and i am a bit old skool and use this rather than selecting by artist name etc), does it let you see all of your files?

I have a folder structure like:

artist name --->albums--->songs

So all of my Deep Purple albums are folders under Deep Purple etc

I only ever want to listen to whole albums, so this Ipod style crap isn't something I want anyway!

If I've made a compilation, thats under "Various Artists"

No it didn't. When the max file error was present, browsing at certain (random) folders got me a "no playable files" message even though there were files in there.

My structure is a bit different. I have a very versatile database so artist folders would never work (must be some thousands). Instead I am organizing everything by Genre > style > albums or single tracks. It doesn't get that long like that so I doubt it's the structure to blame but I will be able to rule out some suspects soon.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 07 December 2017, 21:05 »
Hmm sounds like even folder view is actually derived from the database and not the raw file system. Actually that's definitely the case because sometimes when I've added stuff to the card it doesn't appear and you have to reset the database to make it work...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 07 December 2017, 23:07 »
I meant to say, even with the error message (which suggests the database has hit the max), if you just use "folder view" (and i am a bit old skool and use this rather than selecting by artist name etc), does it let you see all of your files?

I have a folder structure like:

artist name --->albums--->songs

So all of my Deep Purple albums are folders under Deep Purple etc

I am selling Deep Purple albums (vinyl) on eBay.Its what I do and have done for some years btw. For anyone of you chaps interested in that wonderful medium vinyl. Forum discount applies.
 :cool:

I only ever want to listen to whole albums, so this Ipod style crap isn't something I want anyway!

If I've made a compilation, thats under "Various Artists"
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2017, 09:21 »
I have loads of vinyl from back in the day. It was my first love :D

Sadly the best opportunity I have to enjoy music now is in my car and whilst I'm sure I could connect a deck up via some sort of Bluetooth input to the car, I think changing a record in the fast lane of the M1 might be frowned upon :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2017, 18:13 »

Sadly the best opportunity I have to enjoy music now is in my car and whilst I'm sure I could connect a deck up via some sort of Bluetooth input to the car, I think changing a record in the fast lane of the M1 might be frowned upon :D

I dunno, I sometimes think that might be easier than navigating my ipod via the touchscreen  :laugh:
7.5 GTD

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2017, 11:28 »

Not sure what it was like over here but back home in Ireland when the CD was taking off music shops were doing a deal that if you brought in your vinyl they would replace it with a CD

My brother started going around all the music shops collecting all the vinyl because they were just throwing it away. He kept saying that one day I won't be laughing at him for doing it, he was right. Some of the stuff he has is worth proper money now.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2017, 15:49 »
It's a bit of a false market for vinyl really. Almost like bit coin. I kept mine because of emotional attachment, never about future values!

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 09 December 2017, 17:12 »
It's a bit of a false market for vinyl really. Almost like bit coin. I kept mine because of emotional attachment, never about future values!

I bought 4 bitcoins in 2014, it may well be a false market but I'm happy enough at the minute.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #18 on: 09 December 2017, 20:36 »
So I plugged in a USB flash with >3k files while I had the SD card in. I didn't get any error but the database showed only the USB drive's contents. I had to manually select the SD to access its own database so there is not one single database for all the media inserted, rather one db per media. So If the limit is around 11K files and I use two SD's of 10K each it will be fine although it won't practical at all having to switch media to access what you want all the time. Another negative feature (besides the low file limit). I will now start to gradually add files again to see if i hit the error with the same number of files as before.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 10 December 2017, 11:40 »
Ok, good experiment.

I actually already use two SD cards. The second one has my audio books on it, which means that when I want to stop listening to the books, I can just swap the source to the other card and play music. That enables me to keep my place in the book. Very useful when the wife or daughter gets in the card and doesn't want to listen to 20 mins of the middle of a book they've never read :D

I don't think having your music split across two sources would be too much bother though would it? Just think of a way of making a logical split....Thrash Metal, Speed Metal and just Metal on SD1, Death Metal, Prog Metal, Power Metal, Black Metal and Nu Metal on SD2 :D

(keep it metal!)