Author Topic: Discover Pro files limit?  (Read 4034 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Discover Pro files limit?
« on: 25 November 2017, 17:59 »
Came across the message in the photo after my last sd card update, I didn't add that many tracks to those already on the card (bit over 10K) so I either happened to hit the max number of supported files or something else is going on. Has anyone else come across such a message? Also, does anyone know for sure whether  the database resets itself every time you eject/re-insert the SD or it just keeps on adding entries until it maxes out?

I'd love to read the manual but unfortunately the dealer was not kind enough to source it for me as the car is bought in Sweden...

« Last Edit: 26 November 2017, 09:10 by scanesare »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Discover Pro files limit?
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2017, 18:56 »
Try doing the factory reset on the media system. Just media, it will only delete and rebuild the database. I often have to do it because I never safely eject the cards before removing them and that can screw up the database. Rebuild takes seconds and there are no downsides.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2017, 19:42 »
Try doing the factory reset on the media system. Just media, it will only delete and rebuild the database. I often have to do it because I never safely eject the cards before removing them and that can screw up the database. Rebuild takes seconds and there are no downsides.

Will try and report back.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2017, 07:50 »

+1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2017, 19:07 »
Reset the media system without a card in, re-inserted the sd card and got the same message  :sad: 

Really this Discover Pro system is by far the worst money I spent on the car. For the price of a Macbook Pro you get not only joke specs (resolution, touch screen) but file system capabilities that are worse even than MS-DOS FAT file system if 10K is the max number of files supported. So much for buying a 128gb SD card to have my entire music library with me...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2017, 09:36 »
I don't think its to do with the file system, as even FAT16 will handle more file than that.

I think its the database having a maximum number of records.

Out of interest, what if you put some of the files on SD2 instead? Has it got a 10k limit per SD card?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2017, 10:10 »
I don't think its to do with the file system, as even FAT16 will handle more file than that.

I think its the database having a maximum number of records.

Out of interest, what if you put some of the files on SD2 instead? Has it got a 10k limit per SD card?

Yes clearly it's not the file system but the joke database design/limitation, I was only making a rough comparison.

Do you mean using a second SD to transfer some items there and see whether it's a card or database limitation? I'd have to find another SD first to try that. Think I have one in some old camera...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2017, 10:36 »
I was wondering if the 10k limit was for the whole system or just one SD card...

I wondered whether 10k music tracks was a lot, then checked my collection on my computer... no its not a lot lol

I can't say I have hit the 10k limit in the car though.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #8 on: 07 December 2017, 15:10 »
Haven't had time to fetch a second SD and see if the limit is per SD or on the entire db, by I tried deleting a few hundred items from the main SD, basically dropped from 11,700 to 10,800 and the limit error message is gone  :huh:

Still 10,800 seems like a strange number to be a file limit, maybe something else going on like some specific/long folder structure creating hiccups? Needs more investigation...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2017, 15:57 »
I meant to say, even with the error message (which suggests the database has hit the max), if you just use "folder view" (and i am a bit old skool and use this rather than selecting by artist name etc), does it let you see all of your files?

I have a folder structure like:

artist name --->albums--->songs

So all of my Deep Purple albums are folders under Deep Purple etc

I only ever want to listen to whole albums, so this Ipod style crap isn't something I want anyway!

If I've made a compilation, thats under "Various Artists"