Author Topic: Finally the Pretorias are on  (Read 11389 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Finally the Pretorias are on
« on: 29 October 2017, 11:45 »
It took a while to happen but finally they’re on

HUGE thanks to Booth11 for her old boots which kind of got the ball rolling ages ago, before I even had the car I think(?) when I was mooting different wheels during my five minutes with the GTD.
I’d made a comment in a thread somewhere and Ms B said I could have her old tyres when the Michelin upgrade happened. I’d been thinking of putting some upgraded lightweight 18’s on such as Borbet FF1’s but as soon as the offer of the 19” Contis was made my mind was therefore made up.
It took me a while to source a decent set of Pretorias during which time REVO 19’s were considered but as the Ed40 CS is a limited run car for anoraks like me I’d ideally wanted to keep it pretty standard.

A couple of the Prets I eventually bought had a few marks so I got those two repainted the other week and Ms B rolled her old Contis in my direction once the hallowed Michelins were fitted to the Black Beauty R (as Asker so fondly and aptly called it) a month or two ago.

Work commitments etc caused a few delays for me but I eventually managed to get down to my regular tyre fitter on Saturday morning after an 11 hour night shift (as you do) and finally the jigsaw slotted together.

The Belvederes are now finally in the skip  :laugh: and the GTI now looks like it’s ready for Benny to hot lap the ‘Ring in it.
The only ring I’ll be lapping is the ring road on the way to work but at least I’ll look the part...  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Finally the Pretorias are on
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2017, 12:04 »
They really look great although I would say the Belvederes looked great too! So are you going to lease out the Belvederes :wink:

How about a before and after picture post, be interesting to see the difference in looks on the same car....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2017, 12:08 »
They are a great looking wheel.

Now I'm off to Down and to the left quite a bit to do some skip scavenging.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2017, 12:12 »
They really look great although I would say the Belvederes looked great too! So are you going to lease out the Belvederes :wink:

How about a before and after picture post, be interesting to see the difference in looks on the same car....

Before

They are a great looking wheel.

Now I'm off to Down and to the left quite a bit to do some skip scavenging.
:grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2017, 12:24 »
They both really suit the car and in isolation look spot-on but the Pretorias just look so right especially when they are in the right colour :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2017, 13:08 »
Massive improvement, I don't like the Belvedere's at all.  :cool:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2017, 13:31 »
Massive improvement, I don't like the Belvedere's at all.  :cool:

My thoughts too and thanks Trev.

The pics on here of non-CS GTI's fitted with Belvederes look really good, I think it's just the height of the rear spoiler that makes them look too small on the ED40 CS.
In isolation the wheels look really good.
I'd like to say the Belvederes are indeed lovely and light but my back tells me otherwise having wrestled with them yesterday  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2017, 13:32 »
I'll love a set of Belvedere's, they really suit the GTI and tyres are cheaper than Prets too.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2017, 13:34 »
I'll love a set of Belvedere's, they really suit the GTI and tyres are cheaper than Prets too.

One of the reasons I was originally looking at other lightweight 18's was the tyre cost factored in at about 60% of the cost of 19" rubber ware.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2017, 14:12 »
They’re a lovely wheel and amazingly light for a 19

Beware of stone chips on the rear wheels though they seem prone to it unfortunately.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver