Author Topic: NEW Gtd questions  (Read 13745 times)

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
NEW Gtd questions
« on: 30 January 2017, 20:49 »
Hi All
Just taken delivery of a brand new, carbon grey GTD. Its like entering the space age, having come from a 10 year old car before this. Loving the car, but I have to admit to having a spot of bother with learning how to use the electronic and auto hold handbrakes!

Please could anyone help answer the following question?

1)Can I just leave autohold on, whilst driving around all day and let this act as my handbrake at traffic lights/traffic hold ups etc, without having to turn it on every time I stop for a brief while? Or should I just push the auto hold button when I require it?

2) Does autohold need to be deactivated when reversing the vehicle?

3) When I put the electronic handbrake on instead, can I just drive away, without actually pushing the button to take the handbrake off?

Thanks in advance. Kevin.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: NEW Gtd questions
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2017, 21:25 »
Hi Kevin - you can switch the Autohold on and never touch it or the handbrake button again, it's great! I thought it'd be tricky coming from a manual handbrake but once you learn to trust it, brilliant!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2017, 21:55 »
Hi Many thanks. My little brain is trying to get used to all this new technology and there's a lot too! I can't believe how much cars have changed, coming from a ten year old car! Its abit like 'hey, why didn't anyone tell us about all this!?'

I feel like we've been in the dark ages for a good while!

So I can just pootle around with the autohold switched on, no need to turn it off? The electronic handbrake did make a loud banging noise last week, when pulling away. The dealer said it was because the car was new and had been sitting around for a while! No noises since this, but tonight I reversed with the autohold on and there was a burning smell in the cabin afterwards. Did I do something wrong, with leaving the auto hold on? Thanks.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2017, 23:40 »
Hi All
Just taken delivery of a brand new, carbon grey GTD. Its like entering the space age, having come from a 10 year old car before this. Loving the car, but I have to admit to having a spot of bother with learning how to use the electronic and auto hold handbrakes!

Please could anyone help answer the following question?

1)Can I just leave autohold on, whilst driving around all day and let this act as my handbrake at traffic lights/traffic hold ups etc, without having to turn it on every time I stop for a brief while? Or should I just push the auto hold button when I require it?

2) Does autohold need to be deactivated when reversing the vehicle?

3) When I put the electronic handbrake on instead, can I just drive away, without actually pushing the button to take the handbrake off?

Thanks in advance. Kevin.

Hello Kevin and welcome The Club. :cool:
As Watts says.It is basically a take care of itself system.It makes a handbrake look prehistoric.
In answer to your questions.
1)Yes.Just leave Autohold on all the time.You don't need to touch it.Traffic jams/hill starts- as soon as the car senses you have braked the car to a halt- it will show a green 'P' on the dash.Once it is on it will hold you safely.No need to keep your foot on the brake.Once you touch the accelerator it will release as if you had released a handbrake.
2)Autohold will deactivate automatically when you start to reverse.No need to touch anything.
3)Yes.It will release automatically.

When you park up.Obviously the green 'P' will show on the dash and you might think you have to pull up the liitle Autohold lever to get the red 'P'.But no.Once you turn off the ignition and open the door it will do it itself!. :smiley:

Best colour by the way!. :grin:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2017, 23:46 »
Hi Many thanks. My little brain is trying to get used to all this new technology and there's a lot too! I can't believe how much cars have changed, coming from a ten year old car! Its abit like 'hey, why didn't anyone tell us about all this!?'

I feel like we've been in the dark ages for a good while!

So I can just pootle around with the autohold switched on, no need to turn it off? The electronic handbrake did make a loud banging noise last week, when pulling away. The dealer said it was because the car was new and had been sitting around for a while! No noises since this, but tonight I reversed with the autohold on and there was a burning smell in the cabin afterwards. Did I do something wrong, with leaving the auto hold on? Thanks.

The auto hold or auto parking brake should release as soon as you start to reverse.Green/red light should go out on the dash.Burning smell?.Mmm.Tha is not right.Did it feel like it was holding back?.Like trying to drive with the brakes on?.
The only noise you should ever hear is the 2 electric motors engaging your rear wheels on autohold/parking.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2017, 23:48 by Restlessnative »
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2017, 00:12 »
Hi Restlessnative and thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes, it felt like it was driving with the brakes on. It also smelt like it was driving with the brakes on!

Worried the brakes are damaged now. They were really hot and smelt it too, when I had a close look at them afterwards. It did not feel right at all and there was definitely something trying to stop the car reversing backwards, which felt like the brakes were still on. Strange feeling and not one I've had before in a car.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2017, 20:07 by GTDING »

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2017, 12:38 »
Is the car a new one or second hand ?

Just a long shot but early MK7's had an electronic handbrake that wouldn't release if you didn't have your seat belt on. Later models did away with this requirement (my 2013 GTD had it, my 2016 GTD doesn't).
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2017, 13:05 »
I think Sooty might have a point, but based on my experience you'd have to be trying quite hard to overcome the handbrake and ignoring the "release parking brake" messages on the dash...

The handbrake is only ever on or off, its never partly on like a manual handbrake and its pretty firmly braked - unlike my wife's Fiesta that I jump into and forget it has a manual handbrake until I reach the supermarket sometimes... that does make a burning smell :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2017, 18:05 »
So after a visit to the local VW garage, this is what the experienced sales guy said:

When reversing down a gradient, slight or otherwise, with the autohold on, the computer thinks that the car is 'rolling' down the hill. so it quickly brakes all four wheels to prevent this. This is despite having the car in reverse gear and lifting the clutch up and with a small amount of throttle, which I understand, should disengage the autohold (but didn't last night!).
He believes the braking computer system, gets confused and therefore brakes the car when reversing down a slope, unnecessarily. He also said he thought it best to take auto hold off, before reversing downhill/slight slope again.

So what do think guys? All I know is that I forgot to take autohold off tonight, when reversing into the same space, on the slope and no problems tonight! No baked brakes, nor cooked clutch!
« Last Edit: 31 January 2017, 18:09 by GTDING »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2017, 18:18 »
So after a visit to the local VW garage, this is what the experienced sales guy said:

When reversing down a gradient, slight or otherwise, with the autohold on, the computer thinks that the car is 'rolling' down the hill. so it quickly brakes all four wheels to prevent this. This is despite having the car in reverse gear and lifting the clutch up and with a small amount of throttle, which I understand, should disengage the autohold (but didn't last night!).
He believes the braking computer system, gets confused and therefore brakes the car when reversing down a slope, unnecessarily. He also said he thought it best to take auto hold off, before reversing downhill/slight slope again.

So what do think guys? All I know is that I forgot to take autohold off tonight, when reversing into the same space, on the slope and no problems tonight! No baked brakes, nor cooked clutch!

I've not experienced this but then may not have encountered the same scenario. My brakes do stick on occasionally, usually after a wet night as did my car before. When pulling away they do make a loud noise as they come free. You shouldn't have to fiddle with the autohold though having said that I could easily see the system getting fooled on occasion. If it is working okay now chances are it is okay, just keep an eye on it?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.