Author Topic: Pressure Washer: What do you use  (Read 11579 times)

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
Pressure Washer: What do you use
« on: 19 December 2016, 11:09 »
Hi all,

I've been instructed that I need to invest in a pressure washer and I'm not sure which model is best to get.

Will be using it to lovingly maintain Mrs LRWmotorsports Clubsport as well as blasting stuck on rubber from the arches of various race cars.

What so you guys use and do you have any trouble finding snow foam lances to attach to various models?

Any help is gratefully received, I'm out of my comfort zone here....
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Pressure Washer: What do you use
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2016, 11:48 »
I don't have one so pretty useless really! But, I've seen quite a few people using Karchers so I'd decided when I do get one to go for a K2 model. You can get it with or without various accessories, I was going to get a basic one and have seen quite a few deals around £49. Or, Karcher sell on their returns as refurbs and have a dedicated site, they usually go for around £35 but by the time you've paid for a full warranty (they only have 3 months) and delivery the new ones seem a better bet.

Lances seem to be readily available from detailing kit retailers and Karcher being popular don't seem to be difficult to cater for.

B&Q seem to be cheapest at the moment at £48 but no doubt there'll be a few bargains to be had after Christmas :smiley:
« Last Edit: 19 December 2016, 11:54 by Watts »
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2016, 12:54 »
Kranzle 1050TS - its part of their 'family range' so is comparable with decent Karcher in terms of cost.

This with an Autobrite lance.

Cheers

Neil

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2016, 15:09 »
I bought a top model K'archer about 14 years ago (it has the brass pump, not plastic) and it is still going strong despite having many many hours of prolonged used over the years.

Looking at their website and comparing models, my old girl is a bit better specced than the K7, but I reckon a K5 will give you what you want, plus a 5 year warranty. IMHO if products like these can't last 10 years, or more, they aren't worth looking at.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2016, 15:34 by bgbazz »
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2016, 15:17 »
I have both a Karcher K2 (for car) and a K4 (for home duties) I bought the K2 solely for car use as it is less cumbersome that the K4.  It does the job perfectly adequately.  However the K4 pressure is a little better and it has a dedicated pressure hose reel which keeps things need and tidy.  On the subject of hoses, I find the standard Karcher pressure hose (and by all accounts Nilfisk are just the same) to be a nightmare for twisting and kinking to the point where you can spent a more time unkinking them than it takes to wash the car!  So to remedy this last year, I bought a 15ft replacement pressure hose from Qwashers on eBay which is far superior being made of Heavy Duty rubber and being metal braided, which is far better then the nylon braided standard ones.  They come in varying lengths too. Never get any twists of kinks now.  Massive improvement.  Not cheap, but if you use the jet washer a lot then well worth thinking about investing in one.   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170856695088?euid=6fbcd6e09a4f44e48590d3014d14d009&cp=1

You shouldn't have any issue getting a snow foam lance to fit whichever pressure washer you buy, you just need to make sure you select the correct fitting when you purchase it.  I use a PA snow foam lance and it is still going strong and doing sterling duty after 4 years of regular service.  They also make the Autobrite lances too. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170856695088?euid=6fbcd6e09a4f44e48590d3014d14d009&cp=1
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2016, 15:23 »
I have both a Karcher K2 (for car) and a K4 (for home duties) I bought the K2 solely for car use as it is less cumbersome that the K4.  It does the job perfectly adequately.  However the K4 pressure is a little better and it has a dedicated pressure hose reel which keeps things need and tidy.  On the subject of hoses, I find the standard Karcher pressure hose (and by all accounts Nilfisk are just the same) to be a nightmare for twisting and kinking to the point where you can spent a more time unkinking them than it takes to wash the car!  So to remedy this last year, I bought a 15ft replacement pressure hose from Qwashers on eBay which is far superior being made of Heavy Duty rubber and being metal braided, which is far better then the nylon braided standard ones.  They come in varying lengths too. Never get any twists of kinks now.  Massive improvement.  Not cheap, but if you use the jet washer a lot then well worth thinking about investing in one.   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170856695088?euid=6fbcd6e09a4f44e48590d3014d14d009&cp=1

You shouldn't have any issue getting a snow foam lance to fit whichever pressure washer you buy, you just need to make sure you select the correct fitting when you purchase it.  I use a PA snow foam lance and it is still going strong and doing sterling duty after 4 years of regular service.  They also make the Autobrite lances too. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170856695088?euid=6fbcd6e09a4f44e48590d3014d14d009&cp=1

Also, steer clear of the Karcher exension hose kit as this actually makes the standard short hose look like the least likely to kink hose in the world, so much so I'd rather do without the extension hose and carry the pressure washer around more.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2016, 15:33 »
^^The beauty of the Qwashers hose, apart from different construction, is thst it's a replacement hose, not an extension.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2016, 17:22 »
Loads of useful stuff here thanks everyone.

I'm weighing up the Kartcher V Kranzel choice at the moment.

It will have quite a bit of use and I'm wondering if the Kranzel would be worth the extra layout for longevity. Going off Booths advice the hoses might just swing it.

Glad to know I can find S/Foam lances for both too.

Really appreciate the input.
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2016, 17:24 »
I've had a Nilfisk C120 for around 5 years, and apart from a split lance hose, it's been great.

One feature that I really like about it is how the lance and handle rotate, meaning you can change your angle of attack without contorting your wrist. I'd not really noticed this until I used my Dads Karcher and realised how cack handed it was.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2016, 18:04 »

Also, steer clear of the Karcher exension hose kit as this actually makes the standard short hose look like the least likely to kink hose in the world, so much so I'd rather do without the extension hose and carry the pressure washer around more.

Just realised I'm a saddo and have quoted my own post lol, but here goes anyway!

I see the links (now I'm at home and can access them) are for slightly different models to mine. I've got the one with the screw thread on the pressure washer (Karcher K2 compact). Does anyone know where they do that type?
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!