Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529660 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1750 on: 14 May 2018, 22:01 »
is the stool so you can reach the middle of the roof?

For washing/drying the roof, no, I can just reach normally, just.  Use it for reaching roof when waxing though to buff off.  The stool is use for wheel work.  Saves my ageing knees! 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1751 on: 16 May 2018, 20:06 »
I managed to fail to resist the Swissvax microfibre from Amazon mentioned a few posts back, thanks for the link.

I enjoyed the "first wash after a good waxing" experience on my GTI at the weekend.  I believe that you end up doing the same amount of work whether you wax the car (and make subsequent washes easier) or don't bother and have to put more effort into regular washing.

Or I'm in denial about the creeping malaise that is the detailing affliction.  I haven't become so obsessed that I don't take the car out in the rain, as I feel that any crud which sticks to the car will be easy to remove, and the car usually looks presentable.  My Honda S2000 which I sold last year was black, and although it spent most of its life under a cover (we had a semi-tame fox which liked to curl up and sleep on it, the low bonnet proving less of an obstacle to a snooze on a nice warm bonnet or comfy soft top than any of the SUV's which have begun to proliferate around these (and most other) parts).  But I still spent far too much time cleaning it, and far too little time driving it. 

A black car is a lifetime commitment, and I secretly admire the dedication of the stalwarts who persist and produce such stunning results on black paintwork. Other dark colours are available which take up a disproportionate amount of work and commitment to keep clean.

Keep up the good work, and carry on finding and recommending products that work.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1752 on: 17 May 2018, 13:57 »
I managed to fail to resist the Swissvax microfibre from Amazon mentioned a few posts back, thanks for the link.

I enjoyed the "first wash after a good waxing" experience on my GTI at the weekend.  I believe that you end up doing the same amount of work whether you wax the car (and make subsequent washes easier) or don't bother and have to put more effort into regular washing.

Or I'm in denial about the creeping malaise that is the detailing affliction.  I haven't become so obsessed that I don't take the car out in the rain, as I feel that any crud which sticks to the car will be easy to remove, and the car usually looks presentable.  My Honda S2000 which I sold last year was black, and although it spent most of its life under a cover (we had a semi-tame fox which liked to curl up and sleep on it, the low bonnet proving less of an obstacle to a snooze on a nice warm bonnet or comfy soft top than any of the SUV's which have begun to proliferate around these (and most other) parts).  But I still spent far too much time cleaning it, and far too little time driving it. 

A black car is a lifetime commitment, and I secretly admire the dedication of the stalwarts who persist and produce such stunning results on black paintwork. Other dark colours are available which take up a disproportionate amount of work and commitment to keep clean.

Keep up the good work, and carry on finding and recommending products that work.

Black is stunning when clean but unfortunately they stay that way for about 30 minutes! Indium Grey is pretty good for staying clean, as is white surprisingly.

I've found mine to be very easy as I did the hard work when I got it and once properly sealed the weekly or fortnightly wash is very straight forward and relatively quick.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline st33ly

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1753 on: 21 May 2018, 17:24 »
Gave it a wee wash and Gtechniqued C5 the wheels. Love this weather.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1754 on: 21 May 2018, 17:38 »
^^^ That does look special :smiley: must, not, be, jealous..... :whistle: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline jord91

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1755 on: 21 May 2018, 19:37 »
amazing work !!! the clubsport does look sooooo good in white !! and those seat are just beautiful  :smiley:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1756 on: 21 May 2018, 22:27 »
Lovely job on the Clubsport. Looks gorgeous.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1757 on: 22 May 2018, 20:17 »
What everybody else said about the white Clubsport.  I wish I hadn't bought the Poorboys wheel wax, and gone for Gtechniq C5 instead, but we live and learn.

I gave my GTI a quick wash today, and enjoyed doing so after a dry week - it makes such a difference, the car was merely dusty, with a few smashed insects on the front bumper and leading edge of the bonnet.  Thanks to a recent waxing, even these washed off easily.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1758 on: 30 May 2018, 16:12 »
All four wheels off today (one at a time). Cleaned the calipers then spent ages getting the sticky residue from the removed wheel weights from when my tyres were changed in December. A good clean and inspection. A hand polish of all four barrels then 2 coats of C2v3. Tyres dressed with FinishKare Top Kote which was also used to smarten up the bolt caps. Then the tailpipes were polished with Mothers. This was my second day off and I was hoping to get the bodywork cleaned, sealed and waxed but a thunderstorm all yesterday ruined my plans. So despite 4 or 5 hours work today, the car still looks a mess :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1759 on: 30 May 2018, 17:33 »
That sticky residue from the weights is a right royal pita to get off, I was going to post to ask if anyone had any product recommendations to remove it?.....last time used WD but still took ages