Author Topic: Lane assist default on  (Read 2208 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Lane assist default on
« on: 01 December 2020, 23:38 »
Just been reading elsewhere but it seems most recent (mid 2020?) vehicles of all brands are forcing lane assist on by default. Every time you start the car.

On the mk8 it's standard across the whole range.

Some sort of mandated safety feature.

Not sure how you turn that off on a mk8, but given the lack of buttons i assume it's somewhere buried in a menu...

Anyone experienced this yet?
« Last Edit: 01 December 2020, 23:41 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Lane assist default on
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2020, 13:12 »
I think permanently live Lane Assist seems to be mandatory in every car now and is bloody annoying if you have to travel regularly on country roads where you have to constantly straddle the white lines unless you enjoy having a badly scratched near side mirror housing at best.
It absolutely ruined the fluidity of the TCR with it switched on and I’m not sure it’s even fully deactivated on my late 2019 built 1 series as it was the first thing I switched out but sometimes it still feels like an invisible hand is at work. At least it’s just an easy to reach button for 2020 owners who can’t switch it fully off.
A great feature for trucks that live on motorways but not good for drivers who spend time on single carriageway roads so an easy access switch is essential.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2020, 14:00 »
Yes ideas created by people who imagine every road is a test track somewhere. Mind you, it could be a uniquely British problem as everywhere I have been in mainland Europe has decent quality roads even in unnamed rural backwaters!

I read people moaning about it on Kia, Merc, BMW and more....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2020, 09:02 »
It’s on from start up but you press the assist button and then turn it off on the touchscreen.

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2020, 20:15 »
Wrong thread sorry!
« Last Edit: 04 December 2020, 00:02 by Wrex22 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2020, 09:40 »
oooh better still - I've just read that EU manadated speed limiting is for 2021 built vehicles and that will be default on too (i presume you might be able to turn it off).

Traffic sign recognition and GPS map data determine the speed limits and the car enforces it with braking and throttle intervention.

Nice.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2020, 16:04 »
oooh better still - I've just read that EU manadated speed limiting is for 2021 built vehicles and that will be default on too (i presume you might be able to turn it off).

Traffic sign recognition and GPS map data determine the speed limits and the car enforces it with braking and throttle intervention.

Nice.

I could be imagining this but I'm sure I read BMW had the auto gearbox linked to GPS and as you approach bends it shifts down automatically so you were in the right gear
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2020, 16:13 »
Don't know if BMW has that, the latest VW models do though have something similar with ACC slowing down for bends and roundabouts etc.

Its all going to be in there somewhere - because this "trick" technology has to be on everything from next year. Whether you buy a Daccia or a Ferrari.

I also saw reversing cameras were compulsory too.... I'm not quite sure what this does to the options list.