Author Topic: Id3 vs mk8 gti drag race  (Read 2040 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Id3 vs mk8 gti drag race
« on: 05 November 2020, 11:22 »
Just for the laughs...

https://youtu.be/mLBDkZF07dQ
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Id3 vs mk8 gti drag race
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2020, 11:39 »
The result is about what I expected. ID3 is quicker off the line but the GTi has longer legs on the open road.

What would have been more interesting would have been a lap of the Top Gear track in each to see how the ID3 copes with high speed cornering  :smiley:
7.5 GTD

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2020, 14:22 »
Real-world where electric makes the most sense - off the lights and not even reaching 60 mph!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2020, 14:26 »
Real-world where electric makes the most sense - off the lights and not even reaching 60 mph!

Except for what that does to your battery range :-/
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2020, 14:32 »

Except for what that does to your battery range :-/

Doesn't really matter. Just charge it back up when you get home. No trips to the petrol station required. Electric is literally the future for everyone.

TG had an article in a recent magazine which likened it to the electric light bulb and said we are at the same stage. Edison said at that time only the rich will burn candles.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2020, 14:53 »
Despite me having previously stated that I think my 2024 car will be electric, I have been looking hard at the ID3 (well right up to lockdown 2...)

I am tempted, I can see most of the advantages but what I can't seem to get away from is that charging on the road is not yet ready. Its not that chargers don't exist, its that they may or may not be operational or unoccupied when i get there. That does radically change the real world situation.

Last weekend I looked at a few trips I would need to do regularly, that are over 200 miles and looked at zapmap to understand the logistics. It would be possible, but only if the chargers were available to use. Thats akin to using petrol, running low and discovering that none of the petrol stations on your satnav are open or that they have a 3 hour queue. Driving between them all, all over off your route hoping to find one working while watching the petrol gauge fall...i've actually been there before.... in France during the fuel protests - I can tell you, it aint fun!

I don't care about over night charging, i have a drive, it can happily plug in there.

I'm sure it will come good in the end, but until there are plentiful 100kw chargers available (and I mean LOTS) the problem is actually going to get worse in the next couple of years before it gets better.

I'd really like to choose an ID3 today, I genuinely would, but still have enough fear of being unable to carry out a 200+ mile trip without considerable angst and stress that petrol won't give me.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2020, 10:52 »
https://youtu.be/eaE57tChPQM
Think you need to watch that.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2020, 12:12 »

Absolutely fascinating. Thx
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2020, 12:21 »
Only watched a few minutes but confirmed why I'll be sticking to petrol for sometime to come...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2020, 12:57 »

That's one of the best discussions I've ever seen of the subject.

And it does sound very much like the solution I'm looking for is a few years out.

Ok, time to finalise my 128TI quote and burn some dinosaurs  :whistle: