Author Topic: MK8 GTI test drive  (Read 5650 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: MK8 GTI test drive
« Reply #20 on: 04 November 2020, 19:15 »
Another photo. Those 18s look tiny this time around. Something about the mk8 needs 19s.

Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 04 November 2020, 20:25 »
Any specific thoughts? I'm really interested in real world opinions.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 04 November 2020, 20:47 »
Any specific thoughts? I'm really interested in real world opinions.

It’s hard when it’s not my opinion and he’s not a car person to be honest Fred. He loved the interior but said that I just didn’t feel special enough for the money involved. He was quoted a further £550pm today!

He’s had a 7.5 GTD and said it felt rapid compared to that, with the dsg being excellent. No issues with the shifter being so short now. The little video he sent me was interesting as the digital displays seem a huge step up from the 7.5. The soundaktor was very noticeable too. He said the wheels looked tiny (standard 18s) and would have to be upgraded in his opinion. His last comment was interesting and probably tells you a lot from a non car persons point of view. ‘I could get an Audi Q5 for that money.’ Not sure how true that is but the perception is interesting.

Hope this is helpful. I’m planning a test drive at some point but have already decided that this is the first gti I don’t want to buy.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 04 November 2020, 20:50 »
Final photo for anyone who’s interested.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 04 November 2020, 21:16 »
Thanks.

One of my big questions is if the red dials can be changed to some other colour. At night I'd not be able to read the low contrast. Need to be white ideally for me. That's a genuine deal breaker for me. More so than any aesthetics.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 04 November 2020, 21:27 »
Thanks.

One of my big questions is if the red dials can be changed to some other colour. At night I'd not be able to read the low contrast. Need to be white ideally for me. That's a genuine deal breaker for me. More so than any aesthetics.

I’d be amazed if it can’t as all the ambient lighting can be changed.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 04 November 2020, 21:44 »
A little clarification on the interior. He’s just told me that the seats and look of the cabin was spot on but the digital interface was totally over engineered. That surprises me massively as he absolutely loves his tech and gadgets. If it doesn’t appeal to people like that, who does it appeal to?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 04 November 2020, 22:01 »
Thanks.

I’d be amazed if it can’t as all the ambient lighting can be changed.

I seem to remember that monkeyhanger had an issue with the AID in his Polo GTI+. The dealer did a software update and inadvertently changed the colour of the instrument display in the process.

I know the AID in the Polo won’t be the same version as that used in the mk8 Golf, but if it’s possible to change the default colour in the Polo then you’d think / hope it would also be possible in the Golf, even if it means a coding change by the dealer or by someone with OBD11 or VCDS.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 04 November 2020, 22:10 »
I know you can change the aid colour in the mk7.5... You can change it from a few different options using vcds. Think there are some different profiles for different vw vehicles. My gtd is white though.

In one of the video reviews they showed toggling the mib to different colours but didn't show if that changed the aid and if it also changed the ambient lighting all in one go.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 04 November 2020, 22:16 »
I think on the 7.5 it needs coding to change the colour, but definitely on the lower spec Mk8's the backlighting colours can be changed via the touchscreen.

https://youtu.be/VcTrmufAxVw
7.5 GTD