Author Topic: MK8 GTI test drive  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
MK8 GTI test drive
« on: 28 October 2020, 19:55 »
Drove a standard MK8 GTI DSG in white this afternoon. I was very impressed to say the least.

I will write a more comprehensive summary over the next few days. I drove the car for around an hour and the traffic was fairly heavy but managed to find a few quiet roads to open the car up a little.

I have to agree with other peoples’ comments that the car looks better in the flesh, my MK7 looked a little dated by comparison. I personally think it looks good in white but then all previous GTIs have. Did not pick up on interior quality issues noted by others, I think the nice GTI bits lift the cabin.

The seats whilst they look good we’re not particularly supportive but that is comparing them to the Recaros in mine. Cannot remember what the standard GTI seats felt like.

Agree with the reviews the car feels tauter and it has a more pointy front end than the MK7.  Brakes were fab, no issues with the few or stopping power.

The roads were damp but traction was better than MK7 on OEM fit tyres, it just felt more planted and able to put the power down, perhaps the engine and transmission mounts have been formed up. Really enjoyed the twisty bits.

The power was good and it revved much more freely and had a better top end than my previous MK7 IS20 turbo engine - it felt quick but I’ve never driven a 7.5 PP car which is a closer comparison than mine.

Ride was firmer but it was a non DCC car but there was definitely some adjustment when selecting the different modes - similar to the Polo GTI+ I drove a while back.

Didn’t really touch the main display but I found the buttons on the steering wheel to be fine, mind you, my expectations were low after reading/hearing the comments. The dashboard, well I am not a fan of the central Rev counter display but the conventional two dial layout was good and you can customise with multiple options - I liked it at the end of the drive.

In summary, it’s a great car and I am very tempted to order a Clubsport when it is released. Some pictures below

2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: MK8 GTI test drive
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2020, 20:21 »
Really interesting to hear a proper drivers opinion rather than a journo. So the ride was fine on 18s without dcc? Wonder what it’ll be like on 19s without it?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2020, 21:00 »
Really interesting to hear a proper drivers opinion rather than a journo. So the ride was fine on 18s without dcc? Wonder what it’ll be like on 19s without it?

The ride on 18s was firmer than my Clubsport (also on 18s). I personally would spec DCC with 19s but it depends on the weight of the 19s on the MK8. DCC is supposed to be one of the plus points of the MK8 so I would spec it on 18s too.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2020, 22:47 »
The ninteens are the heaviest wheels fitted to a gti yet apparently... I'd be tempted to look for a third party set of forged ones.

But yes, there is a lot of electrickery in the dcc by all accounts this time around.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2020, 23:33 »
Think you are right Fred. The 19 inch Adelaide's for the Mk8 are 8J and AFAIK are cast. Previously all the other 19 inch cast designs for the GTi were 7.5J. Pret's are 8J but not cast.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2020, 09:37 »
That there is a different suspension setup for 19's (on DCC or not) is a big clue.

Maybe the suspension tweak will overcome any ride problems, but clearly the weight difference on the 19's is an issue and VW have tried to adjust for it - which I've never seen on another car before...

I wonder what this means for anyone swapping wheels around... do you spec 18's then put your own 19's on or spec 19's to get the suspension tweak before changing them??

I'm sure we'll find out in due course, but in my mind that could be an issue.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2020, 22:47 »
I like the light projection too.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2020, 10:43 »
Looks quite good in that first picture, to be honest, and I do think it's going to make the Mk7/7.5 look dated quite quickly.

Backend looks odd from straight on, can't quite put my finger on it.

The ride on 18s was firmer than my Clubsport (also on 18s). I personally would spec DCC with 19s but it depends on the weight of the 19s on the MK8. DCC is supposed to be one of the plus points of the MK8 so I would spec it on 18s too.

So in the Volkswizards review, it sounds like there is a standard adjustable chassis without DCC, with Comfort and Sport settings. Did you try it? Wonder what system that is and what it's actually changing?

Reviews suggest the DCC is massively improved over the Mk7 though so imagine most people spec'ing their own car will add that.

EDIT - just seen the reviews thread!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2020, 12:15 »
Looks quite good in that first picture, to be honest, and I do think it's going to make the Mk7/7.5 look dated quite quickly.

Backend looks odd from straight on, can't quite put my finger on it.

So in the Volkswizards review, it sounds like there is a standard adjustable chassis without DCC, with Comfort and Sport settings. Did you try it? Wonder what system that is and what it's actually changing?

Reviews suggest the DCC is massively improved over the Mk7 though so imagine most people spec'ing their own car will add that.

EDIT - just seen the reviews thread!

I agree with you Jim, I think the MK7 will date quickly but it is a great design. This was very apparent to me watching Volkswizard’s latest video when his TCR and the loan MK8 GTI were in the same shot, I thought the TCR looked dated compared with the MK8.

I know what you mean about the rear in the second image, it looks a little squashed but it does looks better in the flesh.

I did try the different modes and there is a difference but as I mentioned in the review post ‘comfort’ is not conformable and I found ‘Sport’ better in general and more compliant.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2020, 15:51 »
How does the Mark 8 exhaust compare to the 7.5 Performance?