Author Topic: Followed by a Mk8...  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Followed by a Mk8...
« on: 08 October 2020, 12:35 »
I spotted a car approaching from behind as I popped to the local shop last night and wondered what it was as it was dark. Could see the front light bar and must say, looked a bit tacky lit up but assumed it must be a Golf. As I turned off, it was indeed a Mk8 in yellow. Couldn't tell much else but really wasn't sure about the full DRL light set up. Anyone else seen one at night?
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Followed by a Mk8...
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2020, 09:00 »
I met a mk8 Golf coming towards me after dark last night. I agree with @Jim_mk7.5, that full width front lighting strip looked pretty tacky IMO. It’s the sort of thing I might have expected to see on a 1980’s/1990’s American car - in fact I think there may have been such a US car from that era with a deeper, more prominent full width illuminated strip but I can’t find any pictures of it.

If I had a mk8 Golf and there was any way to turn that lighting strip off, I most certainly would.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2020, 09:47 »
I met a mk8 Golf coming towards me after dark last night. I agree with @Jim_mk7.5, that full width front lighting strip looked pretty tacky IMO. It’s the sort of thing I might have expected to see on a 1980’s/1990’s American car - in fact I think there may have been such a US car from that era with a deeper, more prominent full width illuminated strip but I can’t find any pictures of it.

If I had a mk8 Golf and there was any way to turn that lighting strip off, I most certainly would.

I've not seen another since but it did look pretty tacky. Must be able to disable that. With the headlight DRLs and new foglights, there was absolutely no need for a light strip all the way across.

It's almost like the VW designers have tried their hardest to out people off buying the Mk8. Perhaps that is the plan, push more people into an ID.3 and then makes their job of scrapping the Golf easier as sales will be very low.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2020, 11:04 »
I don't think they put the illuminated grille on the Mk8 to sway people towards the ID3, as the ID3 has it too.

I expect these will be like the Audi DRL's were about a decade ago. There will be people that like it and people that will grumble. But after a few years they'll be everywhere and people will get used to it.
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2020, 11:31 »
That light bar doesn’t add anything to the aesthetics nor does it serve any useful purpose IMO.

The development and production costs of that pointless (IMO) feature would’ve been better spent on fitting a gas bonnet strut or fitting some more user-friendly physical controls in the car’s interior. That’s just my opinion though, and it’s good we don’t all like the same things.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2020, 09:25 »
I don't think they put the illuminated grille on the Mk8 to sway people towards the ID3, as the ID3 has it too.

I expect these will be like the Audi DRL's were about a decade ago. There will be people that like it and people that will grumble. But after a few years they'll be everywhere and people will get used to it.

I wasn't suggesting the light bar was. I meant in general. Almost everything about the Mk8 would make me consider the ID.3 instead.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2020, 09:40 »

I wasn't suggesting the light bar was. I meant in general. Almost everything about the Mk8 would make me consider the ID.3 instead.

After visiting the dealership the other week, I found myself liking the ID3 much more than the Mk8.

Is that deliberate?  :undecided:

Remember VAG have that big EU CO2 target to hit. Fail to hit it and it costs them mega bucks.

Its not just the Boris push for Green that is going on...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2020, 09:59 »
Got to be part of the plan. When they launch a new model, they will already be working on the next one. But in the Golfs case, there is no next one. The future is electric. I'm just amazed that they haven't made the final version the ultimate Golf. A missed opportunity and perhaps a deliberate one, who knows.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2020, 10:18 »
I think the plan was for any dinosaur burning holdouts to experience the minimalist experience of the electric car now in the Mk8, to ease the transition.

Easier to jump from a Mk8 into an ID3.

Its either that or they think that to sell a Mk8 they needed to compete with the desirability of the electric milk float - ie other OEM's milkfloats.

I don't think anyone is selling a milkfloat with traditional switch gear or dials etc.... everything is very star trek.

I think in the ID3 the wide expanse of nothingness is expected, like in Star Trek, whereas in a petrol car the perception is more of Concorde's flight deck - a product of the 1960's.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC