Author Topic: Golf me 8 TCR  (Read 19338 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Golf me 8 TCR
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2020, 16:39 »
Just seen these myself. An interesting front end. Obviously a different exhaust set up too.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2020, 17:59 »
I'm just surprised they are still referring to it as a "TCR".... given VW's pull out from that series.

Anyway, its quite nice but I would expect it to be £39k+ without options at the very least, which means even a lick of paint will take you into "luxury car tax" hell, let alone a DSG box.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2020, 18:46 »
I think the front black "mouth" is very heavy and too much of a visual feature
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2020, 05:45 »
I wonder if that’s the Edition 45.
Seems odd that VW would still market a TCR when they’ve pulled out of the racing series. The Ed45 will be due next year and there needs to be a gap filler between a 245PS GTI and a 330PS R.
So maybe a limited run 290/300PS anniversary edition followed by a Clubsport or TCR badged series production car with the same mechanicals but slightly different trim to the Ed45.
Just a stab in the dark.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2020, 08:02 »
I wonder if that’s the Edition 45.
Seems odd that VW would still market a TCR when they’ve pulled out of the racing series. The Ed45 will be due next year and there needs to be a gap filler between a 245PS GTI and a 330PS R.
So maybe a limited run 290/300PS anniversary edition followed by a Clubsport or TCR badged series production car with the same mechanicals but slightly different trim to the Ed45.
Just a stab in the dark.

Yes I have been wondering what they are going to do with Edition 45, if they already have a 300ps model lined up. There is a logic to start production with special edition (in this case Edition 45) before resuming in a standard spec. But would people think they had something special enough? 

If standard “performance GTI” is to be 300ps then what room does that leave for Edition 45. Is Edition 45 going to be a mild upgrade ahead of the big one (which they must be thinking about) ie Edition 50.

Maybe the Edition 45 will be 310ps with exclusive trim. While the standard model gets 300ps.

More importantly, I was hoping the large open mouth lower bumper would be more enclosed at each side on this model, I don’t like the big mouth look on the standard GTI.

Anyway, I am hoping there would be some news announced which had been planned for the Worthsee Show in late May.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2020, 08:32 by AndyGTI »
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2020, 09:10 »
Why would an ED45 need to be more powerful?

Surely a slightly more extreme aero package, some stickers, different seats and maybe an expensive exhaust...job done.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2020, 18:13 »
Why would an ED45 need to be more powerful?

Surely a slightly more extreme aero package, some stickers, different seats and maybe an expensive exhaust...job done.

Only that Volkswagen have deemed more power for the Special Editions, as a requirement over standard  (ED30, ED35, ED40)

However that was before they had a powerful model in the normal line-up. So you might be right they will pop some bits on it to start production run and then pull the bits of when the standard production starts. Stranger things have happened.

2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2020, 04:56 »
The “Edition” anniversary models don’t *need* to be more powerful but it makes them a bit more interesting/desirable.
It doesn’t cost VW much to throw in some extra go from the parts bin along with the bits of special trim.

The 20th Anni had standard power 8v and 16v engines but VW cheekily added a (cutting edge at the time) 110PS Diesel to the line up (still badged as a GTI) for continental Europe, but sadly not imported to the UK.
They did the same for the 25th using the PD150 Diesel alongside the petrol special edition GTIs.
 But that was also when it all changed and VW started to add the Leon Cupra spec engine to the Anniversary GTIs.
It’s become a modern tradition and kind of expected now with the anniversary edition GTIs to have the detuned R engine in Cupra spec.
At 330 PS the R will have quite a performance gap over the GTI even if the latter has circa 290-300PS, therefore the price gap between anniversary GTI and range topper R would need to be more than it has been for the last generation unless the Ed45 has other tricks up its sleeve. 

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2020, 11:15 »
TCR 3 door